My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

No News Is Good News...I Hope...

Today things were much as yesterday...

It was however an improvement in that I found I was able to travel easier to see Mum and managed to get home at a reasonable time.

Yesterday was a tiring day for me in that much as I am happy to use a bus, I live a little off a bus route, I have to walk from the bus stop to home and it is a struggle. The difference in price of using a taxi compared to a bus is amazing. But it has had to be taxi's and so you can guess we are talking "Big Money!"

I had to try six taxi's to find one that could take me to see her and coming home I would've had to wait for nearly two hours for an available taxi and my usual Taxi company did not have a spare car either.

The bus service is so limited I still had to wait an hour for one to get me to my home town, it then took almost an hour to reach a bus stop as near to my home as possible and it took me around parts of towns and even my own I did not recognise and then I had to attempt to walk home, along streets that were so quiet and eerie, I did not feel safe. I have never been so happy to see my home, open the door and close it behind me. It put another two hours onto my day.

The tv system at the hospital still was not working, they were coming back for another attempt at repair today(the third day)but didn't show.

But last night three volunteers from Hospital radio arrived and two were teenagers perhaps 16-18 and obviously using it in the hope to step into professional radio and they didn't really want to be going around getting requests, especially from the elderly, they were skitty and when they knew I had been involved for 15 years stayed away from Mum's bed and only talked to one patient but they mainly talked between themselves.

The older guy at least talked to everyone.

He thought he'd get all the tv sets working that carry tv and radio even though the company has had people out every day since the fault was reported and of course he couldn't do anything at all. He was told many of the faults were caused by software and people had been out to the wards and/or engineers had tried to use tricks down the system remotely.

He then phoned the company but it has had no effect.

To be honest I enjoyed my 15 years there but I don't feel that I want to go back and I doubt that I'd enjoy mixing with those now involved in the organisation.

The only thing that my ears did pick up is that the company running most if not all of the tv and radio systems in every hospital across the UK(if what these people were saying is true)actually folded owing millions and the other tidbit I'll not say here.

I am not impressed with the system. Or really with the Hospital Radio service either. It is not a case of sour grapes but I know what I see and am very susceptible to atmospheres.

We were better off when a tv/tv's were in each ward and you could hear radio and tv piped in the wards via a system installed and listened to via bedside headphones or going into a tv lounge.

The system often failed but this one also fails and you have to pay to use it. At least the old system was free. And if the system isn't working it's not going to get satisfied customers or build up goodwill with potential users.

Without something to listen to or watch each day is pretty boring. It does not speed up a patients recovery.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Aren't theyr egistered charities Gildy? The Hospital TV and radio etc I mean...

Even cows being milked get radio piped in so I think the least in-patients should get is a free music system that works!

8 October 2009 at 22:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Patientline managed to sweet talk the hospital system(I assume that means the Government too)by saying we'll supply the equipment, maintain it etc...and take away the worry of each hospital doing the work and the cost.

It all went pear shaped I'm not sure if they don't keep the sets working how they make any money.

But even on wards where it is working, I do wonder how they make enough money, They were at it again today and at the end of the day one set wasn't working...guess which one!

I have never ever seen software load so slowly(you can watch it on the tv screen)

They had tried all morning(when I went in at 2.30pm they were still at it)

At 5.30pm it was still loading(when I left at 8pm it was still loading)and was perhaps looking as though we might be at the nearest to having it work. But it would still be tomorrow before it may.

A spare set in the next area of the ward(where there was no bed)might've worked for Mum but it is located higher on the wall so does not swing round as much towards Mum's bed but again...the woman fixing the sets was so short she couldn't reach the technical stuff that she needs to work on without stepladders...and guess what the hospital didn't have any(and nor did she!)

How long do you think before the company fails again?

9 October 2009 at 00:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home