My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Sorry For Not Keeping You Upto Date...

September 30 2009
Today was a day which was neither one thing or another for either of us...she's still in the same ward/same bed...she has proved to me again that she can get out of and into bed, walk to the bathroom and back, sit in a chair and again they came and gave her exercises in bed...and she did them well...(she even did a few whilst I was there)again she had some food I took in(sandwiches...Cheese and tomato ketchup and pork and Branston Pickle)Soup...Stilton cheese, broccoli and bacon.

Tomorrow she'd like a flask of tea or coffee as I make it and I suggested salmon sandwiches...

She has a selection of cakes and biscuits etc...

To fill time I bussed to a small suburb near the hospital to do a little shopping and on the way back a lady smiled and I felt I knew her near the hospital and I spoke...It was a Sister or nurse on her day off from Mum's ward, she asked how she was and was happy to hear how she seem to be doing, she asked how busy the ward was and I told her today it wasn't as busy but another patient was now in the empty bed that has been that way for a few days, she is sleeping alot and talking all kinds of rubbish in her sleep and it's not restful sleep. She said it's a pity that a bed isn't coming up so Mum can go to rehab quicker. Then again...at least she's not being rushed.

The electric went off a couple of times today too. But the hospital power supply kicked in quickly but it makes all the machines go wrong.

October 3 2009
They had said Mum might get over to the other hospital at 2pm but by the end of visiting hour at 3.30pm that wasn't going to happen. So I filled my time and when I returned at 7pm I was told by Mum that she might not have been there for my visit as they had again been talking of transferring her and another lady during the afternoon or earier in the evening when I wasn't around so when I arrived I'd have found that she'd gone.

So I sat until the end of visiting hour and they still were saying neither one way or the other. I didn't know whether I could go in the ambulance with Mum, if she was going tonight and how long to wait for a taxi to follow her and if I did, where to wait in the hospital, I did not want to come home and go out again but you cannot stay on the ward.

8pm came around and they said it looked like another night in the same hospital again. Not knowing what was happening I had cancelled my taxi home. I did not want them to find I was unable to leave or that I had disappeared. But then the Nursing staff said after 8pm transfers usually don't happen.

I was about to re order a taxi and they appeared on the ward and collected Mum and the other lady to go to the other hospital...The ambulance crew had space and allowed me to...It saved me approx £15

There was a spare seat after all.

It was a real bone shaker and seemed to have no suspension. It was some kind of Private service hospitals use. Very basic.

If you were not ill to start off with I doubt the shake up on the journey helped anyone getting over surgery.

Anyhow, Mum is now at the other hospital, still six to a ward but lots of space between beds(I assume to allow for exercises and use of machines and aids...)and this ward has an open visiting policy you are not restricted to an hour in the afternoon and an hour at night so you can spend hours with your relative...(the only time they are not too keen is meal times...)

So I do not have to fill time in shops or restaurants or reception areas on my own I can decide how late/early I go to see Mum...but the hospital is also virtually next to two big supermarkets so I can shop and have a meal there if I wish.

The taxi's(though on a meter)are also slightly less expensive so if I use the taxi's in that town it's cheaper for me(even if I pay a tip)

Unfortunately, there is(but she is not very loud)another patient like at the previous hospital asking for help and wanting a nurse all the time...I don't know if this is because she is troubled or in pain...it's sad to witness.

Anyhow, I hope with this transfer and if Mum shows she is determined, it will work in her favour and we will get her back home again...

As of yesterday even though the hospital Mum is in hasn't been open very long and is newer they have closed Accident and Emergency and ITU so some of the hopsital has been wound down.

I wondered if I should cook a meal but I had some bacon, lettuce, tomato sandwiches in wholemeal bread and a fruit salad I had purchased early so I had them and two hot cups of tea when I finally came home around 9.30pm.

Mum is doing well with her exercises...the staff are pleased with her progress and yes she's popular...she asked today when she can come home and they said when she wishes to so I've told her to do all that she is told to and prove she is strong and able. I suspect early next week someone will talk to her about aids to help her in the home but that zimmer has made a difference and she's happy and accepting of using it.

She is the best one there regarding mobility etc...thank heavens...

I am sure more help will given when she gets home and I am also sure that her Dr will call to see her...

I've told Mum not to rush things but she is talking of coming home Tuesday/Wednesday and she still believes she can do as much/more than what they are doing at the hospital now...most of the time people are just sitting in chairs or in bed, she's doing as much physio on her own...

When I visited today between 2.30pm-8pm the nurses popped in to ask how she is and served the meals but that was about all that happened.

I made life easy and just had a salad(did not get around to cooking any new potatoes)and a fruit salad when I came in around an hour ago...oh a nice hot cup of tea...

October 4 2009
I spent around 6 hours with Mum today and when evening meal came I was not kicked out but allowed to stay and I ate what I had taken along a salad with just about any salad vegetable you could think of plus mayonnaise(just no potatoes or chips)but I ate half of Mum's Jacket Potato and followed it with fruit salad and apple juice.

She was doing ok and still is in reality but was knocked back today because they have her on sticks and she has never ever managed walking sticks which they tried in December when she damaged her back and then they decided sticks were not suitable for her so to try now...

She really was getting away like no one's business with the Zimmer...we'll see what tomorrow brings...

I bought a card for her to watch tv...nothing happens and it's so boring but I then found it didn't work and the hospital have nothing to do with the TV and Radio service so if it's not fixed we have to try and get that £5 back...the radio is free but she cannot hear that even...another set isn't working but that lady had not purchased a card so has lost no money(24 hours = £5)

I took Mum's radio in and that is allowed but it doesn't work on the ward.

They only do very little in the way of exercise and Mum still thinks she can do more of them and get better quicker at home...I would guess 23 hours+ she is just sitting in a chair or in bed. They were doing more exercises over at the hospital she had the operation than here where they are supposed to assessing and giving rehabilitation...

Someone I think who is in a worse condition than Mum is going out tomorrow to stay with her sister.

A taxi driver tonight told me that a person he picked up last week was told as he picked up his fare to stay with her as news came through that her OH had passed away whilst having his hip replaced because he had not survived the anesthetic.

How do you get over that?

They keep giving Mum an injection in her stomach to stop blood clots...

Otherwise she is not on much medication for what she has gone through...

I understand they are not letting her have the Zimmer Frame that she is used to in hospital to bring home, I hope I can find one the same outside of the hospital and I will get her one when she comes home even I have to buy it. If she likes a frame, she can have one. She was used to that.

I'll be back there again tomorrow...

Thanks again for the support and advice everyone...

1 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Well done Gildy, it's not nice to contemplate but there are many, many people would do all that you are doing.

Thanks for the update and best wishes.

5 October 2009 at 00:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home