My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, September 07, 2009

Be Prepared...But Only In Certain Circumstances...

As we enter something like the approx 100th Anniversary of the Girl Guides and Boy Scouts movement which is supposed to install morals, skills and good character in girls and boys to take into adult life with them, once again the problem of carrying a penknife has caused problems. I mentioned knives some time ago...

I still think if you are inclined to injure, harm or attempt murder you are more likely to use a kitchen knife or some of the nasty knives you see with very big points or serrated edges and if you are in a gang or out to nasty things, banning penknives etc...will have no effect whatsoever.

I used to carry a small penknife into work to repair watches and open up watch cases to replace batteries or clasps on jewellery. Now, I probably would not be allowed and if stopped by the police risk being charged.

Now its reported that at last Boy Scouts have been told that the association will no longer allow their scouts to carry penknives and the reason reported on the news was the confusion regarding the law and whether you can or cannot have a penknife on your person. Or is the Scouts movement wrong and just over reacting too? Are the rules clear or fuzzy?

And what of a Swiss Army Knife, I've always quite fancied one of them but in reality having survived until now without one I probably could continue to do so.

It really has got totally stupid and out of hand(even though I can fully understand the hurt and painful stories of people who have been murdered and families ruined)by such incident.

It's a strange world.

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

My bone-handle sheath knife is out of the question then?

;-)

7 September 2009 at 21:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Now how would you get that into the UK? :-)

I assume there isn't a problem in Spain...different rules...

Speaking of harming someone, I can always use a chisel or a screwdriver and do some damage...

7 September 2009 at 23:53  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Worse damage with a chisel!!! But it reminds me that nay hardware store would sell those "scalpel" sharp "Stanley" type knives etc.

Re my shealth knofe I meant when I was a scout etc...always had it on my belt. Now I just carry my Ernest Emerson Viper Six...

(not really!)

hahahaha...word verification is gunsora: "guns or a..." knife

brilliant.

9 September 2009 at 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home