My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, August 21, 2009

I've Been Waiting All Day...

For the engineer to call to service the heating system, well the gas boiler.

The boiler is ok but I am a bit annoyed...this time they installed for free two smoke alarms and a Carbon Monoxide monitor.

Well that is for our safety so why should I be unhappy?

Well, We were told where we had to have them placed.

The carbon monoxide alarm which is very large has been placed on the main wall in the hall.

The smoke alarms have been put on the wall above the airing cupboard upstairs(which is the landing)and the other has been put on wall in the hall above the monoxide alarm. Two almost together.

After the engineer has gone, he left us the instructions of how to use the alarms(and this also shows how and where they should be installed as suggested by the manufacturer.

Now from seeing other alarms in other homes I always thought because of how smoke rises most fire alarms are placed on the ceiling.

To me that would mean positioning one on the kitchen ceiling and one on the landing ceiling.

Looking through the instructions he left(after he had disappeared)surprise, surprise...the manufacturer says that ceilings are best for the smoke alarms and if you only have one carbon monoxide alarm they say the best place is near the bedrooms.

So to me I see it being done this way because it was easier for the engineer.

I also do not think we needed the carbon monoxide alarm because we do not have a gas fire...just a boiler and the room it is in the doors have ventilation grills to allow air into the house and fumes etc...out.

I suspect because they have rules and regulations to follow its a case of you have to have them whether you want them or not. And the monoxide alarm is meant mainly for homes that have a gas fire.

And when you are renting and it's not your own home you have in some instances less say in what happens.

But Mum cannot be bothered with the hassle so they'll probably remain where they are.

At least they are not in the lounge, dining room or bedrooms so we are not having to look at them all the time.

Years go when I first got satellite tv I remember the installer insisted that the dish had to go on the front of the house(they all seemed to be installed that way back then)when we said we might not bother in that case, he put it on the side of the house and ran extra cable from the dish to the living room window area. So in other words they wanted to do it as quickly and easily as possible.

I'll probably moan about it today and then by tomorrow forget about it and live with them...

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

If you "have" to have them then surely they should have been put where they are recommended for!

Will you have to pay? Sounds like a licence to print money. Like "Corgi" certified people, same cowboys but with authority.

Still, it's for safety so as you say you will forget as hopefully you never have to have need of them!

22 August 2009 at 14:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, someone has advised that they will work on walls as well as ceilings and that it's probably easier to reach on a wall...and as you say hopefully we'll never need them.

They were free(if you count them being probably being paid for by Council Taxes etc...)

If I need to test them I'd still have to use a step ladder to reach them but the engineer siad batteries will be replaced when they come to service the boiler again...for free.

But I will probably have to stop dust building up on them and luckily I have found a feather duster that will allow me to do that.

22 August 2009 at 16:03  
Blogger Span Ows said...

feather duster on a stick! I remember my mum had one of those for the cobwebs in the corners!

Still better to ahve than to have not...same as cycle helmets, seat belts etc...a pain but worth it if you ever need them!

23 August 2009 at 18:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Ken Dodd is ok for those ;-)

23 August 2009 at 19:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home