My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

The End Is In Sight...

Remember how we were told that politicians had signed into law the demise of the old fashioned light bulb on the grounds of protecting the Earth and helping to reverse/halt global warming. The bulbs were to be phased out over a certain period and I could suddenly not find any to purchase.

A few weeks ago, I found a shop in town selling them again and started to buy a few boxes when I could remember to, I'm putting off the inevitable but I thought I'll manage to build up a little stockpile.

A national newspaper announced a couple of days ago that the European market has passed another amendment(with little fanfare)and within ten days all such bulbs will be taken off the shelves(ahead of the planned date of withdrawal)and from then on it's the new bulbs and nothing else.

I hope there are some still on sale when I go out on Monday...if there is, I'll buy the lot!

So many lamps and items that need bulbs will be obsolete. You cannot buy coloured bulbs that includes soft coloured lifts in a pastel shade. Or candle shaped bulbs. Frosted, clear or pearl bulbs. What a choice we're being left with!

BTW some months ago I told you that British Gas sent some free energy saving light bulbs, last week we received another package this time from N Power and it contained...more bulbs.

But here's the problem, they all keep sending bulbs that they all say are the equivalent of 60 and 40 watts and what we need for most rooms(especially in a ceiling fitting)is the equivalent of 100watts or as many of the new kind are softer, we could probably do with one that is the equivalent of 150watts.

Also, to get a decent light we may have to use more bulbs and have more lamps which kind of defeats the idea behind the switch over.

It may seem crazy but I have managed to buy a variety of 60watt/100watt old fashioned bulbs(and some candle ones)and now have approx 200

It really sounds a lot but when 10 are required for the centre ceiling fittings of all the rooms and I have known 5 be lost in days of each other they may be used quickly.

I have managed to find some pretty spiral shaped ones and better shaped energy efficient bulbs so in time we may get used to them. There are some that look more like they should at last.

It would've been nice if the energy companies had sent the best that they could to promote the new bulbs.

A friend offered to send bulbs from the States(they don't phase them out for approx another 5 years...)but I said that they may be stopped at customs as if they are to become illegal in Europe they won't probably want to allow them here and they'll slap a customs tax on them...

Who would've thought that?

I hope the next step is that they don't start coming into our homes and taking our stock of bulbs away!

6 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

...another pain! I read today that we are paying 60% MORE to the EU starting from this year...I'm afraid the more that goes on the more I get to be in the BOO camp!

BOO...Better Off Out!

23 August 2009 at 18:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I've added some more to the post about this bulb carry on...

What you have now told me just adds something else to get angry over...

Can anyone tell me where they find the money from(I know it's from taxes etc...)but how much more can we donate!

It's like we are told as a country we are in debt but they can always find money to give away to countries as aid. Where does that suddenly come from?

23 August 2009 at 19:20  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I find the low watt lights (60,40...) very difficult for reading...maybe I'm getting old!

24 August 2009 at 13:14  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

60 and 40's are low even if normal bulbs and I suspect the new one's are an approx comparison but will never be the same.

I wonder how long it will be before the new brighter and longer lasting LED lights are available as mentioned some months ago.

You are not old...yet! ;-)

24 August 2009 at 17:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There are two boxes of 60 watt light bulbs left in the town and when they are sold, that could very well be the last of the traditional bulbs to be sold here.

I made one final purchase.

27 August 2009 at 00:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

My good friend Curms has shown me that many have found a way around the problem by buying supplies of similar traditional lightbulbs that are classed as industrial but work in domestic fittings and shops are selling(I wouldn't which shops)are selling them in bulk.

I still think many of the claims made about the new bulbs being better are questionable.

8 September 2009 at 09:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home