My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Everything Happens At Once...

I need to consider(well, I have for some time now)buying a new vacuum cleaner but not so long ago most stores/shops had a limited choice and they were not terrifically expensive...

Now on the internet, mail order, in many stores and yes those shops where you buy via a catelogue, the choice has grown enormously(and so has the price)

The designs make it more difficult and we must not forget the weight of the machine especially if you need to vacuum a staircase. Mum insists she wants to vacuum the house which is good but not being so mobile that may be a problem. So many models are heavy to move about. Then many more have those hoses and you pull a little machine around that is on little wheels.

I also require a new electric cooker, that's a little more straight forward(thank heavens)and prices for a basic cooker offering an oven, a mini-oven, grill and four hobs isn't too much of a trouble.

And now the other problem(things happen in three's so they say)

It could be something is need of repair but then I have to decide if it's worth repairing or replacing but the UK as many places are in the middle of great change regarding...where television is going. And you could buy something you think is as up to date as it can be(and I know any electrical item is usually already obsolete as you buy it)but you expect to get a reasonable amount of time out of it.

Usually though I cannot fix something like a computer or television I know why something happens and what it may need to repair it(so it's not often I get taken for a ride)

I am at a loss this time and don't know if it's the satellite receiver, the video recorder or the television. And no I am not rolling in money, most of the items I have are a few years old and I try to make things last as long as possible.

I have not changed any wires around or settings. So what is the problem? I can record or play back via the video recorder all terrestrial channels but now if I record from satellite the picture goes dark gradually until its practically unwatchable and if you play back any recording of a satellite channel it looks that way too but any channel live or recorded from ordinary tv looks and is fine.

All channels(terrestrial or satellite)look and work fine if just played through the tv as live.

If it's the VCR I'll consider going over to DVD recorders but there are already so many changes planned what should I buy and what sockets and cables should it have. Especially as High Definition is being talked about? If I consider a new television again what should I consider? And so it goes on.

If I call the repairman out, I usually can explain what I think has gone wrong but this time I am at a loss. I think some shops offer a free call out and some that I have used before charge around £50 but then if any work is required they take that amount off the work required.

At present if it is a television fault I don't have a spare tv to use if it needs taking away. The only good thing is that most repairs are done reasonably quickly these days.

On the other hand what is it going to cost to repair or replace all these goods?

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

"On the other hand what is it going to cost to repair or replace all these goods?"

More than a new one! (probably)

Re vaccuum cleaner, I don't have one...no carpets either wich would explain it!

19 August 2009 at 18:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Its probably a good idea not having carpets though it's maybe better falling down on a carpet :-)

I see Sony are offering something like the car scrapage idea by handing in an old Sony TV and getting upto £150 off a new model...

Then again anything under 24" they will give you nothing!

And that counts us out as my tv is 21"(I think)

As for it being done for a green reasons the new tv's from what was said on the radio today use more electric than the old tv's using cathode ray tubes.

19 August 2009 at 19:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home