My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

What You Learn By Chance...

With such a wealth of music and information out there unless you become very obsessed and have the time to study how one person singing a song or playing a guitar or some instrument move from one group to another and how many groups are interconnected, it could do your head in.

You do not always realise how many of the songs and tunes we listen to have been written by artists long forgotten and only remembered when you suddenly think I wondered what ever happened to? Sometimes thanks to radio only playing the songs that were hits or best remembered great swathes of music is ignored.

I was listening to a great radio DJ Roger "Twiggy" Day who has been in the business in the UK for almost 50 years and he was looking back to the year of 1967 at a time when Pirate Radio was the only way many people in the UK could hear new music to any great extent(for anyone living abroad or too young to have been around then)they were literally radio stations broadcasting from ships that were anchored in international waters.

He happened to play a track by The Mama's and the Papa's and also Scott McKenzie and during the link mentioned that Scott had been a member of the Mama's and the Papa's.

Well, I knew of Mama Cass, Michelle Phillips, John Phillips and Denny Doherty. Their story is one of the most complicated and it all comes down to various relationships between the members of the group and also the death of one member and today there is only one member still alive.

I know that if Roger tells you something it will be as accurate as anyone is able to be. I only know Scott as the singer of San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Some Flowers in Your Hair) but there is a connection straight away(I did not know)this song was written by John Phillips.

The connection to The Mamas and the Papa's was also still there in the 1980's when Scott co-wrote(with others)a hit for The Beach boys alongside...John Phillips again.
I also discovered thanks to the site I have put a link to how Scott did indeed join The Mam's and Papa's in a kind of indirect way.

The group reformed but at various times the male members through illness could not or just did not want to take part so Scott came in as a substitute/replacement for Denny and then eventually Denny did come back and Scott took on the role of John.

It's quite an interesting story.

I won't say that some bad music was performed, recorded, written in the 1960's and maybe you had to be alive at the time"To Get It!" but there really is for me something about that decade and whenever I hear virtually any "Pop" song from that period it makes me feel good...

Take a look!

Scott McKenzie

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Nice post Gildy, I had a laugha while ago (this is about old songs etc) I was in Chile in november/december last year and one of my clients started singing a song and I said "Brillaint,I love all those oldies" and nobody knew what i was on about...they said no, it's from so-and-so a couple of years ago...it was Percy Sledge 'When A Man Loves A Woman'...and I put them right!

Funny thing but bothe the Mamas &Papas and The Beach Boys are just such 'summer music'

:-)

17 August 2009 at 18:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It's true Span(and it probably happens to me ocassionally)I think I have discovered a new song and find it's years old :-)

But so many people do not realise how many songs are decades old.

And what is it as you say about certain groups or songs that summon up memories of or seem right to be heard in a summery place or time of year.

17 August 2009 at 19:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home