My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

What Will I Find?

It really is like that when I shop...we have a big supermarket on town and it's all but seen off any competition since it arrived. Now, it could be that being so large and popular that's why it runs out of goods but I can never buy everything that I wish to on one trip. I wouldn't say that I buy anything particularly unusual. I wonder if they need to look at the information they collect from the tills and customer loyalty cards as something seems not to be working.

Also, every time I go in I seem to find something that I have become a fan of is no longer on the shelves...in an earlier post I mentioned Rosti's, now it's a packet of Sweet Potato, Butternut Squash and others which you put in the oven and bake, its lovely, suddenly it's disappeared. As has Lemon Sole. A tray of Roasted Potatoes is another item. They started to get some fresh turnip, potato, carrot diced and enough for a couple of meals. It appears that they've dropped them.

The point is that I get the impression that this is not because they are unpopular but the opposite is probably true. If you buy a salad you may be able to find all the vegetables you want except say the Spring Onions. You'll always be let down on one item.

On the other hand on the last trip I purchased some fresh Green Beans, Asparagus, Snap Peas...it's offered a change and something new. Now some of these are highly thought of by many restaurants and chefs/cooks on television. I will eat them again and they've made a difference(I'm all for variety)but I'm not sure that I could say that I thought of them being particularly special. Perhaps it depends what you serve them with.

But I am enjoying trying something a little different.

Speaking of being different I am still getting ever closer to making that souffle I said that I would some months ago and having seen some being cooked on tv a few days ago I have less of an excuse not to. I also saw how easy it is to make a sponge pudding but when there are only two of you it's easier to buy one(or a couple of small one's)it is not any less expensive and if you buy a decent make they are of a high enough quality. Oh and I took the easy way out after many years(decades even)I purchased some jelly but again I bought a decent make and it was already prepared for me without having to go through all the bother of dissolving it and letting it set.

Next time I think I'll add some fruit and ice cream. Delicious! (I have since found some with fruit already added)They think of everything don't they...

I am thinking of possibly letting my fridge/freezer empty so I can next time I go to the hospital bring in a different selection of goods from a different supermarket or go back to having a delivery. Just for a change...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Northstar said...

It's not just your supermarket that doesn't have all the items you want to buy, Gildy. Mine does that, too, and mine is your typical American supermarket: huge. I once chatted with a store manager and asked him about this. Whether or not he was being completely truthful, I don't know, but he said that some items become temporarily unavailable from the wholesale providers. And the manufacturers sometimes inexplicably cease making products. I suppose all that's true, but I wonder how often the supermarket itself simply fails to order sufficient quantities.

12 June 2009 at 12:26  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

North Star,
I can accept(possibly)some goods being discontinued or other manufacturers offering a better price so that the retailer gets a better profit margin but when a popular item becomes unavailable...and in theory being so they should be shifting more, there is something wrong.

I think it was far worse when this supermarket opened and you could therefore say it's teething problems as they get to know their customer's tastes and needs...

Now it seems just as I have my appreciation of food widened, they are taken away.

They'll bring in items from abroad and yet basic food seems more difficult to obtain.

12 June 2009 at 14:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home