My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

No Flies On Us...

This year unlike others there seems to have been fewer flies around during the Summer months, still it's early in the year so this could change.

Tell me about it, the other morning I was chasing a fly in my bedroom at 4am!

Often I am still resigned to trying to wipe out the little blighters by swatting them with a rolled up newspaper or something similar.

And yes, as anyone using this method knows it can take ages to end the life of such an insect.

Often I have heard that the disturbance of the air as you move the weapon alerts the fly and they usually manage to get away. I believe the explanation had something to do with hairs on it's body sensing air movement.

However, what seems to work most times for me is that if I see a fly land on a wall or a door etc...and there are not many lights to switch off, if I can remember where a fly is and I make the room darker, 9 times out 10 I can bring my rolled up publication down quickly and hard, hit the fly ending it's existence.

So next time if you have no fly paper, fly spray or one of those special blue lights that you sometimes see in a takeaway, you may like to give this a try.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Flies are people too!

Sorry, just taking the mickey out of some T shirts I've seen recently. I had some picture sof my time in Australia where having 100 or so flies on your back (bare and sweaty back) whilst chopping meat wasn't uncommon! hate the bloody things but one is more annoying than many.

10 June 2009 at 21:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

So is it true about those hats that Aussies wear with the corks hanging down and is it to stop being pestered by flies. I suspect if you have lots of them you kind of get used to them as you suggest Span.

One can be more annoying especially if you are in bed as you rightly say.

10 June 2009 at 23:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home