My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, March 23, 2009

Using Your Loaf...

Dough


Dough That Has Risen


The Final Result
Posted by Picasa



My first attempts at baking a wholemeal loaf...it was easier than my first attempts at making home made bread last year. It tastes better perhaps than it looks and is acceptable in comparison to purchased bread but I am still learning and I hope as I do my skills will improve.

Update:I have attempted a white loaf...again(large this time)It's quite soft and easy to bake again...I could get into this...

Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

It does look good...I can imagine it with a nice bit of strong cheddar OR spread with real butter and nothing else.

24 March 2009 at 11:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It looks bigger in that photo than it really is, the idea was that if I made a small loaf I would be able to use it and before it became stale. It's roughly the size of a tea loaf but perhaps a little longer...

I have to say that it is perfectly fine(Not chewy)and the suggestion of butter or cheese is an excellent idea.

My friend Jan suggested Jam as another alternative. I am looking into how I may be able to make my loaves softer and possibly make some buns/baps too(suggested by another friend Ump)and he should know as he did train as a chef...

It was made very quickly and took little if any effort and I used Hovis flour, it also proves that if I run out of bread from the supermarket we need not be out of bread.

My attempts at home baking have come out solid rather than as many loaves in the shops are usually kind of springy...I don't know if it is possible to make that kind of loaf at home. My loaves are more like those you buy from an in house bakery in a supermarket.

The softer texture than we buy is said to be something to do with the industrial process employed.

The adding of milk may achieve this. I will have to give it a try.

24 March 2009 at 17:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home