My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Stovies!!!

A free advertising paper came through the door the other day and in the middle is a big pull out promoting healthy eating and exercising especially regarding keeping children and teenagers healthy and to stop them becoming obese.

Amongst the information in this latest promotion is something that I have never heard of...a recipe for a Stovie. In all but the fact that it has no meat whatsoever...in reality it is a casserole or similar to a thick soup.

Further investigation on here suggests that a Stovie is a Scottish Dish and is anything that you can put together and most do contain meat and vegetables...all seem very acceptable and during a cold Winter's night or perhaps if you were holding perhaps an event such a Bonfire Night 5th November it would warm you up.

I could give you recipes here but it's probably easier to direct via a link to a site with many ideas...

However, I will give you the vegetarian version in case you prefer not to eat meat.

I could dress this recipe up but I'm going to keep it simple...

Vegetarian Stovies...

This will be enough for two people but you can adapt the measurements for more or less people.

Two reasonably large Potatoes
One Carrot
One Parsnip
One large Onion
A portion of Turnip

All peeled and thinly sliced.

Pepper added if you so wish.

A vegetable stock cube with one pint of water.

Brown the vegetables over a low heat in a pan and then add the stock.

Cover and simmer...add more water as and when to avoid it sticking(simmer for approx thirty minutes)

And serve up with crusty bread.

Simple but tasty.

Stovies

Scottish Recipes

1 Comments:

Anonymous Game Poker said...

Very good information

19 May 2011 at 23:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home