My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dr...Where Are You?

Well, it's hard luck if you require medical attention.

Mum had a couple of falls again over the last few days...my worry is that a sudden jerk or crash to the floor may dislodge the crushed vertebrae in her back. A recap for anyone reading this without prior knowledge...she fell downstairs just before Christmas. And spent some time in hospital. The bad news, she has damaged her back but the good news is that it could've been much, much worse and I have read stories since of others with the same injury that are frightening and where the consequences have been/could have been worse. So being fortunate I do not want the injury aggravated. However, as far as we can tell all is still ok.

Well, we almost decided to contact the local surgery and make an appointment to see our Dr but at the last minute we decided against it but when I popped over in the afternoon to put in a prescription and ask when our Dr is in this week...the surgery looked deserted and in darkness(I assume it was because staff were being trained)but the whole surgery was closed for 24 hours. So if we'd wanted to be seen it was not possible and I assume we would've had to try and find a relief Dr or just go to hospital.

People were turning up in their cars and then finding they'd had a wasted journey. I like others could not hand my forms in for a prescription so took a risk like many others and had to put them through the letterbox and hope that they are put up when the surgery re-opens. I know people were unhappy and thought that at least the reception area should still have been available for general enquires at least.

So I did some shopping...I did get some flowers for Mum last Thursday for Mother's Day and they still look good but we did not manage to get much for her Birthday and for Easter I don't think we'll bother much with Easter Eggs but I found some chocolates by a popular but rather exclusive and expensive confectioner in the UK called Thornton's so I treated Mum to a big box of those...I don't remember ever buying such a large box in my life!

As for myself on top of the items of food, I once again came across some very good books with many recipes I hope to try...yes, I'm still into smoothies, juices and cocktails but there was a hard backed book worth £10 for £3.50 in hard back with lots of information, recipes and images and I think I could manage every bread, dessert, cake, scone or biscuit featured, there is not one really difficult recipe amongst them. It is one of the best books I have ever seen. All it is called is Home Baking Cookbook.

I have a cupboard full of various flours, yeast and baking ingredients so I may give some of these recipes a go quite soon. If I need anything else it's just a few of the little fancy decorating items you sometimes put on top of cakes or biscuits...I'm saying mine will be any better than what is available in the shops or cheaper but there is something about saying "I made that!" and at least you know what went into them. You can perhaps reduce the salt and sugar content.

I will look for ideas on the Internet as I always have but there is something still easier and handy about being able to look in a book and have it opened in front of you for ease of checking information etc...

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

I hope your mum is OK, you seem to take very good care of her.

Re the surgery, surely they must have a duty to inform patients/"customers" that they will be closed!

Cakes...make cakes!

29 March 2009 at 19:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There must have been some kind of cover...I assume anyone trying to get an appointment on that day were offered alternatives and anyone phoning on the day an alterntaive for obtaining treatment. The local health trust must have known the surgery was closed and said it was ok but people were turning up(as I did)and surprised to find it closed.

Well, i can say that I am constantly there giving the right medication, make certain she has all the drinks(tea, coffee, juices etc...)she needs, I try to see that she has the best of food possible but really she is no trouble at all, if I could be sure that she would not have a fall, things are nmuch as they were but that does put some pressure on things as she is vulnerable and not as mobile as she was.

Cakes...well, that will be the last thing I have to prove that I am able to do but some of the more special cakes I may as well buy(as they are no more expensive...I have a coffee and walnut cake in the cupboard as I speak.

I mention scones elsewhere, I think I could do sweet and savory muffins too(they are not unlike cup cakes)I probably could manage a teacake too but they always give measurements for making say 10 which is ok if you are a family and sometimes adjusting the amounts is not always easy.

30 March 2009 at 00:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home