My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Soup...

It may not seem like a big deal but...I made my very first soup today...

Now I probably can do much better but it tasted pretty good the only thing I would like to do is cut down on the salt content regarding the stock I have to add to the liquid. I am told that there is a stock available with a lower salt content which I looked for a couple of days ago without success but I have not given up.

So the other day I popped into the ASDA supermarket in a neighbouring town as I came out of the hospital after seeing my consultant. The range price wise and variety of fruit and vegetables beats the supermarket on my own town and I'll certainly pop in again but if I travel there by bus/taxi it adds to the cost and there is only so much I can carry home using these modes of transport. I may have to consider ordering online as this store now delivers locally.

Anyhow I purchased sliced leeks, diced broccoli florets, carrot, swedes, parsnips and potato, cauliflower florets all prepared to be used in a meal or as I did put into my soup. I softened them by frying lightly in butter(I used Clover)and then added those into the stock I had made and was simmering on the stove(I used a Knorr vegetable stock cube)in approx 400ml of water and then simmered the veg in the water for approx 10 minutes.

I then put the mixture in the blender and allowed some of the veg to remain slightly chunky but the more I liquidised the soup the thicker it became so if you prefer it that way just keep the blender going.

It was very easy to do and I was very pleased with my first attempt. But I will continue to learn.

Some great recipes are available on the following link...

Cooks For Cooks

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Yep, I'm more a fan of soup too...but I add all sorts of things: meat, cheese, bread, anything at all leftover.... The thick creamy veg soups are the best and like your banana cocktails can be a decent meal!

25 January 2009 at 20:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Today I used all kinds of veg and it was ready in next to no time and I whizzed it in the blender and it was really thick so another different dish...no bought soup would have the amount of vegetable or variety I put in mine. Ok we used spoons to eat it but really it was a vegetable smoothie.

And I am of the opinion that most soups do not require simmering for 30-45 minutes...you cook as long as required and as long as it's to your liking and the vegetables are soft...you should not cook any longer...you'll lose the goodness and just waste electric or gas.

Cooks and chefs will probably argue but if you are happy that's all that matters.

25 January 2009 at 21:23  
Blogger Span Ows said...

best when they're only half cooked! The simmering bit is usually to make a lot of water evaporate off and so thicken the mix.

26 January 2009 at 12:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home