My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

American Cream Soda?

Well, I poured myself a long cocktail and I would still be in a lovely sleep if I had not been awoken from my slumber. It was one of the best so far, now before you think that I am a drunken old soak, the last alcoholic drink to pass my lips was 96 hours ago.

This one was suggested by a friend(the name of the cocktail was unknown)and a search on the net did prove less than informative but another friend Dickie Quickly thought it was known as an American Cream Soda and I was told that's what it tastes like...the closest I came to it was a Cary Grant but that misses out one ingredient. I cannot give exact measurements on this cocktail except to say that each item is equal.

Remember to be responsible with your drinking and to be the age that is acceptable for drinking in your country.

Here's the recipe:
1 part Vodka
1 part Lime Juice
1 Part Tia Maria
Ice cubes(You can either put in the glass)or shake in the cocktail shaker with the three items mentioned)
Pour into a High Ball glass.
Top up with Lemonade.

That's It!

I can see that I will have my favourites in time and I suppose I'll have a rota of cocktails I'll stick to and a core of ingredients. Vodka seems a pretty good base to many that contains alcohol.
Maybe I'm a little naive but I have been surprised at how cold(with or without ice)spirits/liqueurs are when you put them into the cocktail shaker for mixing.

And for the above cocktail I put the ice into the shaker and I was surprised how easily the ice broke up and quickly so depending on how long you keep shaking it can become too small or turn back into water.

It has now been suggested that no one can quite decide what to call the above cocktail but that it close to being a Black/White Russian if you leave out/adapt some of the ingredients such as coke and/or cream.

But of course I am now learning the delights of Smoothies and Milk Shakes alongside my cooking triumphs and failures so expect me putting up links to sites I find in my blog entries or down the side of the blog so they are not lost unless you access a particular entry, I will have to think about re-organising them in coming days.

7 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Sounds like a Black Russian with lime and lemonade to me!

American cream soda is a fizzy canned/bottled drink (very sweet) so not sure it would be called that.

11 January 2009 at 18:59  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S....I prefer the rum based but overall my fav (and what i drink most when 'on' cocktails) is the Long Island Ice Tea which is severly alcoholic (bit stronger) and the only reason was that I used to frequent a cocktail bar called Long Island.

11 January 2009 at 19:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I've seen that Long Island Ice Tea...maybe another to try, is the rum flavour hidden or can you taste it as it might be one I can try out on Mum too ;-)

Cocktails are nice when they are smooth and give you that warm feeling in the chest.

You would not believe the difficulties trying to get Martini glasses...Champagne, High Ball, Tumblers, Mixers, Shot glasses no problem but Martini? I think I'll have to get them via the internet.

12 January 2009 at 09:20  
Blogger Span Ows said...

The LIIT isn't one of the 'smooth' ones Gildy, not fruity or creamy...just serious alcohol :-)

15 January 2009 at 22:28  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I must give it a try then ;-) even if it's only a small one...

15 January 2009 at 22:54  
Blogger Paul said...

I used to love American Cream Soda when I was younger, trouble is with the diabetes and the chance that the U.K produced soda probably now contains Aspartame I have to give it a miss.

Very impressed with your 'give it a go' attitude Gildy.

16 January 2009 at 18:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well Paul,
Like you I am careful and do everything in moderation.

I'd hate to be told that I had to stop my interest when I have just started.

I hope that my being careful means that I can avoid further problems in the future so I can still eat or drink most things be it something sweet or alcoholic!

Unfortunately, that is not always in our hands.

As for having a give it a go attitude, that's more like me, my depressive posts before Christmas really was so unlike me. I saw the CAB again today ands got the chance to spend more time discussing matters and did not feel rushed.

And that has helped.

Also things have worked out much better than they could've regarding Mum.

It's about time I posted a new entry.

16 January 2009 at 19:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home