My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fruity...

A few days on and I've had a couple of smoothies...so far so good...delicious. I'll pop the recipes down at the end of the entry in case you wish to try them but really you can practically put into your smoothie whatever you wish.

If you want to get some fruit into your diet but are not really into eating fruit or too full this is a good way to do so. An example? I had spent approx £3.50 on some fresh fruit salad and pineapple. Put into a dish I can stretch that to 3-4 meals because if you've eaten a decent main course it doesn't take long to feel full. On the other hand remarkably, all that could probably be whizzed up in a smoothie machine and drunk and you'd still get all the goodness but not feel bloated.

It depends how many items you decide goes into the drink and what.

I maintain to some extent with smaller portions and careful shopping, you can make food go a long way and many items in the fruit and vegetable range(frozen/fresh)is inexpensive which as the government keeps running stories of how obese, unhealthy we are or will be and how it's a time bomb ticking away, they run numerous campaigns costing millions.

Unfortunately, if your budget is tight(and there's nothing wrong about this)you'll probably find your choice of fruit will be restricted to a few items such as apples, pears and oranges. But the experts and food magazines will push what are seen as super fruits such as grapes, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, raspberries, melons and blueberries amongst others and they are not cheap.

Of course I have had chance to decide whether my decision to buy a smoothie machine was a good idea...yes.

However, in the same supermarket today in a different area the same manufacturer has revamped the design and it's being sold at £5 less than I paid for mine. I also have to say that I can see no way that I can make only enough for one person and I will always have to make a slightly larger amount and depending on what I put into the smoothie I will have to consider either drinking an extra large one or actually waste some of what I make or try and put the unused portion into a container and put it in the fridge or freezer for another day if you can do that.

In time I may have to try and find another machine that makes smaller amounts in the future. It's not so bad for now because I have persuaded Mum to try them and she's given them a thumbs up so far so we can use what is made between us.

You can do cocktails in the smoothie maker but again...what with having to clean the machine afterwards and not being able to do small amounts, for cocktails unless I am doing one that fills a Highball glass, its just as easy to use a cocktail shaker.

Remember my hunt I to find Creamed Coconut? Eventually, I found some for as little as 54p(I think)in the local supermarket. Today, I found the same item by another company and its around 36p for 4 sachets in a box. It also says it's a new product on the box. And there's more...it's Organic!

By the way I am not making cocktails and smoothies every day just in case I give that impression.

Some smoothies are more healthy than others...

Creamy Blueberry and Vanilla Smoothie

360ml Lemonade
125g Vanilla Ice Cream
70g Blueberries

Put everything into a smoothie jug, lock down the lid and run at low speed for 10 seconds, then high for 10 seconds(if possible you can add some ice cubes and break/crush them)Pour into Highball glass or one of your own choosing

This will give two large glasses.

Another night I just happened to have many of the ingredients needed in the fresh fruit salad that was in the fridge so I threw it in the machine and added an extra items not in the list and again it was another nice combination. Measurements can be adapted.

Apple, Melon And Kiwi Fruit Smoothie

400ml Apple Juice(I used an apple)
1 Kiwi Fruit(peeled and roughly chopped)
150g Melon, roughly chopped
Strawberries(optional)
Ice Cubes

Put everything into the jug, Ice Cubes last. Run at low for 10 seconds, then run for 10 seconds at high.

Enjoy...

The good thing about making these drinks is it does mean fruit that perhaps is ripe and might be wasted or possibly you might not get around to eating is less likely to be wasted so you could actually save money.

I am intrigued at the thought that I can make a vegetable smoothie and/or combine fruit and vegetable combinations and that will be my next venture. I am trying to decide if vegetables can only be juiced. As possibly(?)vegetables are more fibrous by their nature. Or perhaps like fruit smoothies you can use(if they have been scrubbed or peeled correctly)them too.

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

The fruit and veg ones are the best for your health Gildy (too much of the fruit and cream are delicios but ultimately not so good for you!

Try carrot and beetroot with orange...sounds plain but really is good.

(unbelievably the word verification is healit

hehehe...best yet.

15 January 2009 at 22:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There are some strange word verifications that come up from time to time...I wonder if any rude one's ever appear?

Your suggestion sounds good. I'm trying to see if I can get away without buying a juicer and whether combinations like you suggest can be whizzed up in a smoothie maker(A blender in other words)

Otherwise I'll have to invest in another gadget :-)

15 January 2009 at 22:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I guess it may help if you get the combinations correct but I tried the Beetroot, Carrot and Orange drink...not bad! ;-)

16 January 2009 at 20:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home