My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, January 09, 2009

He's A Smooth Operator...

That's the plan anyhow...

As mentioned I purchased a smoothie maker. I know very little about smoothies. I had thought for ages about buying a juicer(years)but there is so much variety and quality available in the shops and what it costs to buy fruit to make your own juice, I'm not really sure its worth the bother.

So when I saw a blender/smoothie machine manufactured by Russell Hobbs reduced by half I thought, it's now or never and if it is never used and ends up hidden away in that cupboard of kitchen gadgets never or rarely used I have not spent as much as I may've.

Now, on the other hand if I make myself use it there does appear to be some lovely drinks/deserts that I can make that will be both luxurious and/or healthy. I can use fruit or vegetables. It would appear that I can make milk shakes(though they don't actually say that)and also cocktails. And crush ice. But if I am only making enough cocktails for one drink or to be shared between two, it may be just as easy to carry on using a cocktail shaker.

However, some of the more unusual deserts/cocktails have fruit and ice cream/cream in them and this machine will allow me to do that. That will probably be not possible in a cocktail shaker.

It may not be possible, I need to look into this as there is no information included with the machine but possibly as it blends maybe that will open the door to some other ideas I have yet to experience such as homemade soups.

The worst thing may be all the extra items I may need to make my smoothies as many do seem to involve adding different types of yogurt etc...and other extras depending on which smoothie you are making.

Of course if/when I try it out I will post my experiences good or bad on here.

Now on the other hand something snook up on me(which considering I knew it was going to happen)I am surprised that I did not realise how close I was to the event.

You know that I have tried the new energy efficient light bulbs that are being forced upon the populations of Europe and eventually the world(I believe Australia is already in this situation)and I and many others are not impressed. The light is harsh, not as bright, many people are suffering migraines and find the light horrible to read by. Many lamps and light fittings are unable to take the new bulbs and so on.

Well, the law was passed that the bulbs we have been used to for approx 100 years will be phased out and you must use the new whether you want to or not.

Guess what? That deadline is the end of January...from that point you cannot purchase any 100watt bulbs. However, people have been stocking up on them and buying all the stock up for months so shops are no longer getting any in, when they are sold out...that is it! And people have done such a good job storing up on the older discontinued bulbs, you will probably find that there are not any on the shelves now.

I tried to buy some yesterday and as we are now down to only two shops on our town selling light bulbs(one a large supermarket and the other is a shop that has a bit of everything and a very small section for these products)it was not looking good for me and I wasn't disappointed. There is not one 100watt bulb available and even the 60watt bulbs are becoming rare.

So I guess I am stuck. I will have to look for the strongest bulbs possible, maybe use more to get a brighter room or actually switch them off and live in unlit rooms where possible.

The truth is this legislation has been rushed through without enough research and development to come up with bulbs that are acceptable and offer similar benefits. Am I unaware of any energy efficient bulbs that work in dimmer switches, that switch on immediately where you do not have to wait for them to reach their maximum brightness, that are coloured and so on.

In fact I realise already that two of our lights in the dining room and lounge will not work with the new bulbs so they will have to be replaced and we have an electric fire that Mum often switches on mainly for the glow(rather than to heat the room)as the bulbs illuminate some coloured stones...the new bulbs will be too large to fit inside the space under the stones so that will eventually be unusable.

I tried what was said to be one of the best energy efficient bulbs manufactured by a reputable company(Phillips)and given as a gift by British Gas in the passage that runs alongside the house and I absolutely hate it and I am happy to get what I have to do done as quickly as possible and get into the house into the light I have always been used to.

And if they are so good for the environment why do you have to dispose of them carefully by in special collection points and should you break one in the home, you are supposed to get out of the room and not return for maybe an hour(I assume this means some kind of powder has to settle)which I assume will coat the room so if you return you could still come into contact with that. And you are going to have to be careful clearing up the mess.

This has not been thought out well at all.

I would also guess that offices and shops are exempt from using these types of bulbs so once again it's the poor domestic householder that suffers.

I am not happy.

You have to take these stories with a pinch of salt but with the carry on over energy saving light bulbs anything is possible...what happens if you have already purchased a large plasma tv?

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Smoothie makers are great Gildy, you can put all sorts of fruit in them plus ice cream and fruit juices.

Re the bulbs there was a discussion on PM last night and I think they were putting something about it on the pm blog. There are a lot of people who are going to be affected by this law and scientific studies have not been undertaken in sufficient quantities (i.e not enough data) to determine whether or not people's health will be put in danger.

9 January 2009 at 19:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
Its another law pushed through without thinking things through to their conclusion...if you say that you dislike them, people assume you are anti global warming, of course you must try and do what is possible to improve and safeguard the planet, its the only home we've got(and it will only lst finite amount of time)even if we can do everything right but the alternative solutions to the problems we face need to be better than or equal to what is being offered as a replacement.

I have heard it said that many of the things the Human race has done were for the right reasons but in time the good intentions have created worse problems.

Many of the diseases and viruses we suffer from would've killed us off unless our immune system adapted but because of scientific advances in medicine the opposite is true in many cases but maybe as hard it is to accept other animals adapt or die and perhaps even that means that our actions change the Earth's destiny as there is probably too many of us on the planet.

Maybe that has something to do with why every so often a major epidemic comes along to try and even out the score.

9 January 2009 at 21:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

As for the Smoothie maker I am determined to learn how to do them and find some that I hope will become favourites and it may be a way to get some special cocktails made(and some healthy smoothies containing fruit or veg)into Mum as she's not big on eating fruit in her normal diet.

9 January 2009 at 21:03  
Blogger Span Ows said...

my blender is my most used utensil...(nearly said tool!....oh it would still be my most used hehehe)

I read recently that a lot of bulbs do´'t actaully fit sockets, are too big and heavy etc...what a cock-up (no surprise really! as you say...rush it through as it's green!)

11 January 2009 at 18:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm thinking of going all the way and buying a juicer too, not sure I can afford to use both daily as they use a lot of fruit and veg and that could get expensive but whilst I am able...I will...

This bulb situation is going to annoy many people, they may think it's a good idea until they find out how many sockets etc...will not accept the new designer bulbs and when will we see bulbs that are coloured.

I have two soft pink bulbs in the bathroom and toilet areas of the house and it gives a softer light in rooms that are small but the new bulbs will either be too dim or too bright.

12 January 2009 at 09:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home