My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Lights For Old...

As I was leaving I noticed someone had a hand basket full to overflowing with lots of energy saving light bulbs. It turns out that they were those stick types...then outside was positive that there was a sign up saying that the supermarket was selling 100 of these in whatever wattage you wished for...40p!

I suspect that was wrong(or was it?)today(January 18th 2009) that notice had been removed and there was nothing in its place)

But still today as the offer stood(even though I dislike them)I found the offer(and perhaps this is what it should've been(or maybe I'd misread the notice)5 of the energy saving light bulbs(stick type)for 40p. I succumbed and purchased 5. I could've bought more but...I would guess we only have 16 bulbs in total across the whole house.

And most of the time we only use the lights in the room that we are in at the time. And as we spend most of our time upstairs in the bedrooms(we only use approx 4 at the most if that)my electric and gas use is keeping my radio and computers running.

Well, most of the new bulbs are rated to last approx 10000 hours(but in small they usually add that is if you only use for approx 2.7 hours a day)and I would guess that most people use most lights longer than that especially in an evening. Unless its the summertime. Also many do not manage to offer the most efficient energy rating...on a scale where G is the worst and A the best they usually come in below A.

What I dislike is that many of the new bulbs may not fit the sockets or lamps they are intended...If that can be corrected I may change my mind.

What I found today were at least said to be close to the 100 watt traditional bulbs.

So they may give me a more powerful light which is what I want. If not I hope they bring out some bulbs that are equivalent to the old 150watt bulbs but in reality when they are used they'll be more like the 100watt bulbs we've been using.

It is claimed that I'll save 80% of energy using these bulbs. Whether I do or not the problem is that the utility companies will still keep putting their prices up so in the end I'll not see any real savings in my pocket.

And here's another point(the supermarket is having these bulbs not manufactured in the UK or Europe)they are being made in China.

Again, I found some traditional 60watt bulbs at 15p each(and then for £1.37 a pack of 10 and I thought these will mean we can keep the glow on the electric fire going for a while longer(the new bulbs do not fit)so the fire will no longer be of use. When I reached the check out...the 10 bulbs only cost...15p.

So should there be any remaining later in the week I'll buy some more.

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

buy candles Gildy...buy candles!

15 January 2009 at 22:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

:-) Span,Perhaps one of the best ideas yet, except even candles don't get off scott free...it really is becoming a joke.

15 January 2009 at 22:49  
Blogger Paul said...

I find the energy saving bulbs a pain the bum to be honest, you start to wonder after a while if they've warmed up or if your eyesight is failing.

16 January 2009 at 18:15  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can imagine myself prefering to sit in the dark than switch the lights on...maybe that's the idea, if we leave the lights off...no carbon emmisions at all!

16 January 2009 at 19:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home