My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Knives...

When I worked in a jewellers shop we were all issued with our own tiny penknives that we used to prise batteries out of quartz watches or unscrew tiny screws or close up little claws that held stones in rings etc...and we all probably thought nothing of bringing it home with us in our pocket but under new rules being brought in on the back of violence between some sections of society if we were now stopped in the street by the police, we now would find yourself either in court and being given a jail sentence and/or community service.

These new rules come into force in the UK from January 5th. I wonder if the laws are the same across the whole of Europe or it's just a UK thing.

So where does that put you if you maybe wish to buy a knife and have to get it home? Or what if you go on a camping trip and you perhaps wish to own a Swiss Army Knife because of all the gadgets that are built into one?

I can appreciate the reasoning behind the idea of restricting who has one but it still seems a little over the top to me. If you are already inclined to causing harm to someone, this will not deter you. And your character and reputation should speak volumes as to whether society has something to worry about you doing serious harm.

Does this mean that you can no longer buy such an item? Can we only walk around with knives made of plastic. I'm afraid if someone is this way inclined they will still do harm and probably carry something more dangerous(many things can harm or kill)

I know of someone who went to jail because he was found with a Kitchen knife hidden down the leg of his trousers...that is something more to be frightened of. As is if as part of your culture you belong to a gang that hangs around on the street and uses a gun, a knife etc...for protection and/or to threaten others or carries one when committing a crime. But to penalise someone who does none of these things seems unfair.

Maybe I am just ignorant. As reported in the media, it raises more questions than it solves.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

It's noticeable that many shops selling kitchen knives keep them locked in glass cabinets now - quite how a chef is supposed to transport his knives to work without falling foul of this new law is a mystery. I carry a swiss army knife as part of my cycling kit - I suppose that the law will be enforced at officers discretion, in the same way that the law pertaining to cannabis has.

29 December 2008 at 12:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul, that is the point...as you say, I would hope if I had one my person and was stopped I would not be taken down the local cop shop and find myself in loads of trouble.

Perhaps you can only have your Swiss Army Knife when you also have your bycycle with you but the way it's reported in the media its difficult to know what is actually going on.

Many knife incidents are domestic usually over relationships.

29 December 2008 at 14:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please forgive my lack of knowledge of British law but, what kind of crazy law is this? I would like to learn more about it and keep it from ever happening where I live. It's legal for us (with a permit) to carry a gun for protection. My children carry pocketknives.In 41 years I've never met someone who shot or stabbed anyone (or was shot or stabbed).

6 January 2009 at 03:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home