My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, January 02, 2009

Cocktails...The Verdict!

So far I would say that a cocktail is an aquired taste but the more you get used to them you can say that your tastebuds become used to the combinations that you mix and therefore just as you get used to sugar in a cup of coffee or tea the same is true here.

So far I have not found any that I could not drink or would not consider having again. It is one way of getting a small amount of alcohol without binge drinking or over doing it and I suspect it does relax you, if you limit yourself to one or two at most and also have some that do not contain alcohol you should be ok. You can get fruit juice and or soft drinks into your system that perhaps otherwise you may not bother with. In my case as I am sharing my interest with Mum, so we are both able to benefit without over doing it.

Remarkably, I expected Mum turning her nose up at what I am making but so far she has been positive.

We've had a Snowball(lemonade, lime juice and advocaat)
Mum's The Word(orange juice, cherry brandy and vodka)
Cape Cooler(cranberry juice, soda water and vodka)I noticed this one gave me a warm glowing feeling which I rather liked.

There are many, many to try and I am sure as time goes by we'll find our favourites and find which are sweet, fruity, tangy, sour or whatever.

I was thinking about buying a blender to help crush ice for some cocktails but you know what, if you are not wanting to spend money on an expensive blender that you may never use or takes up a lot of space on a kitchen worktop...guess what, take some ice cubes...pop them into a plastic food bag, get a rolling pin or some heavy object and smash them(it's easy)and you'll have crushed ice, not unlike what you get in those slush puppie drinks that are sold in the shops.

Well, they would be if you can find a syrup or puree that is similar to what is included in the cup in your local shop. So you could in theory make your own at home with fruit juice and/or lemonade or something similar. Remember the Soda Stream system that allowed you to make your own soft drinks years ago at home(I understand that you can buy Slush Puppie syrup and machines for home use)

Adding ice to a cocktail will not only make the drink nice and cold but as the ice disolves it will dilute the strength of the other ingredients.

14 Comments:

Blogger Linda Mason said...

Hello GIldy. Hope that you had a good festive season and that all is well with you.

The thing I love about cocktails is their names. I just love asking for sex on the beach and a screaming orgasm but then I would! Sorry for bringing the tone of your blog down :-)

2 January 2009 at 23:09  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It's lovely to hear from you again and I hope things are going well...I'm not sure that I have your e-mail addy. At least you can PM on Gavin's board.

Happy New Year to you and your's...Bringing the tone of my blog down? Never...I can do that myself ;-)

I am amazed how many cocktails there are and all the names that they have.

3 January 2009 at 03:35  
Blogger Paul said...

Janis tried her first Snowball this Christmas and loved it, my Grandmother gave me my first one when I was about 10! Nathalie doesn't like the smell of alcohol so we haven't experienced any problems with her in that area like some parents.

Experimenting with different cocktails is part of the fun isn't it.

3 January 2009 at 12:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It's strange what you say Paul as it can also apply to foods too.

Sometimes you never get around to trying certain things through choice or circumstance.

Here am I suddenly taking an interest in mixing cocktails. And there is Janis with her first experience of a snowball.

Here's a new one that may/may not be liked(I have yet to try it myself)

Coral Reef Cocktail

3 January 2009 at 16:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

And you are right when you say much of the fun is discovering new flavours and combinations from the ingredients that you mix.

4 January 2009 at 13:55  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

"I noticed this one gave me a warm glowing feeling which I rather liked" I should bluddy well think it did after that lot Gildy!

I've suggested Gildy try Sex on the Beach but I'm unfamiliar with the screaming orgasm... Do post more IB! ;)

5 January 2009 at 20:46  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

It's all white and frothy Gav. You know how it is:-)

I remember my Nan giving me really weak snowballs when I was a child as a treat at Christmas. Well, it might have been my mother telling her to say it was weak but it wasn't really, they were trying to get me to go to bed. Can't think why...

Hey Gildy, why aren't you on facebook? You can see all my pics then and I can send you lots of kisses. I do it to a certain someone around here all the time...NOT!

5 January 2009 at 21:01  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

White and frothy you say? Oooh er missus!

5 January 2009 at 21:14  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

What do you expect a screaming orgasm to look like Gav...lol

5 January 2009 at 21:17  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Well... white and frothy is good or could be purple and slippery...

(Sorry Gildy! I blame her!)

5 January 2009 at 21:28  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Gav love, don't shift the blame. We all know what you're like!

5 January 2009 at 22:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, if I needed a excuse to go onto Facebook Isobel, you may've persuaded me...even I remain a friend and do not have my own group.

As Gavin knows from his board I am at present relaxed and sleepy from polishing off two cocktails(that were all alcohol)and my excuse was I drank Mum's too as she wasn't keen :-)

I think I could happily do so again...I'm keeping a little book of what I make and try. I really should get my printer working again and just print them off as I try them.

Perhaps a Screaming Orgasm is what I should be trying next ;-)

Whatever next...

5 January 2009 at 22:59  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Lol Gildy! If you like snowballs then you'll love a screaming orgasm ;-) Curmy will tell you how to find me on FB.

5 January 2009 at 23:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Fair enough IB...

At least I can manage the alcoholic one's...I have surprised myself...pure alcohol I would've said I would not try, I really believe you get used to them

(I suspect any I make for Mum will need fruit juice to hide the taste of alcohol)or I can get away with those that are basically a soft drink.

She has liked some of what I have made so far.

It was my first taste of Gin too...

5 January 2009 at 23:15  

Post a Comment

<< Home