My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Any Old Port In A Storm...

Posted by Picasa



I was going to buy some Bailey's Irish Cream but found something similar that will be OK for me. Though to save only a silly amount of money maybe that's false economy(then again I think from memory, the bottle was larger)

However, I thought to myself, I have no sherry or port in my store. Sooner or later it may have to be used as an ingredient in a cocktail.

But there is so much choice. I could never buy all the different types available but most homes have always had one of each in the home in case company calls. Does anyone have an idea of one port and one sherry I can buy that will do to represent these types of wine? For some reason Ruby Port sticks in the mind? A bottle of sherry or port seemed to last months or years but looking at the information given on the bottles in the supermarket the suggestion is that you are supposed to use them within days or weeks of opening.

I wouldn't have a clue. I remember adverts over the years and certain names jump out at me but that still means nothing to me. I thought I'd be a little arty with the image above(some items are hidden behind the cartons but this my store of booze for the minute until I learn what I use most and everything is tidy and in some kind of order)

I am still finding it difficult to find Coconut cream locally but did find a carton of Coconut milk and according to the text on the box, it can be used as either where required(Directions suggest mixing it with warm water)

It is produced by Nestlé but a different supermarket may have the exact item that I am looking for. A city most certainly will(especially if there is an Asian food retailer/stockist) I have seen it on the net but to order only one item and pay postage and packing is crazy.

The on going situation is much the same as previous blog entries for both of us and really I cannot expect much else, its early days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

You can get the coconut cream in tins.

Ruby port is lovely.

And as for sherry pick something called Amontillado rather than Sherry and you avoid the price associated with the brands on the British market and get something authentic and Spanish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amontillado

5 January 2009 at 20:51  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks for that Gavin,
I'll try and hunt out some Ruby Port and Amontillado later today.

That coconut cream seems to cost around £2-£3 per can and if ordered on the net with delivery charges it becomes expensive if needed for only a couple of drinks. And I assume when opened it will have a limited life span.

I'll have another look and see if I can see it...a popular brand, Blue Dragon makes a version and there is quite a lot of that brand on the shelves of other products that they do so here's hoping that is hidden amongst them.

In a place like London or Newcastle, it's probably easy to find, here not so...

6 January 2009 at 02:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I found some coconut cream and all for 53p and its a box with 4 individual sachets so I can make it go a long way(I bought two boxes)

I bought some Ruby Port and some Amontillado which I hope will last a while after opening, many say you have to use them up within 3 weeks to 3 months once opened but on the two I have purchased they have no such instruction.

6 January 2009 at 18:36  
Blogger Paul said...

I get a bottle of Ruby every Christmas from one particular client, I always say we'll have a port and lemonade like my Nan used to drink but never seems to get around to it.

7 January 2009 at 18:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home