My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

May the coming year be very kind to you and yours.

Already there have been a mixture of stories in the media both happy and tragic. For me it's been better than I could hope and none of us know what the future holds. 1-15am and I've already had an hour of sleep in a cosy bed.

Before that it was a reasonably quiet night for Mum and myself, considering what the last 3 weeks have been like and it could've been we are still here for each other and have managed to bring in the New Year.

I put together a very quick buffet of cocktail sausages, crisps, pickled onions, cheese, sausage rolls, mini-savory eggs, salted peanuts and rolls containing some sliced pork with cranberry sauce.

And made my very first cocktail ever, initially a little weak but I just added a half a shot more of one ingredient(I could've reduced other ingredients instead)but then it was perfect and how I remember both the bought versions or those made by my Dad. No alcohol...ok...but I managed to make the small amount I mixed go a long way and give a drink to Mum and myself. (As she did not drink all of hers I got a bit extra)

So what did I make? If you want to try it yourself? A Snowball.
You can adapt the measurements to suit yourself and that will affect how thick the drink is but roughly it is...

2 shots of advocaat

1/4 shot of Lime Cordial, I used Lime Juice(from a fresh lime)To get more juice out of it, I popped it in hot water, lifted it out(Carefully)and rolled it. Cut it open and squeezed the juice into the advocat. Shaked the two ingredients together. Poured over a couple of ice cubes in a couple of glasses(if you are sharing)so large wine glasses are fine(otherwise, if you are making a decent drink for yourself, go for a large tumbler or hi-ball glass)

Top up with Lemonade.

And that's all there is to it!

How quiet it is around here, looking outside most houses appear to be in darkness and families seem to have gone to bed even before Midnight. Last year our new next door neighbours spent most of the night/early morning singing Karaoke this year is silence. The neighbours on the other side of us let off a few fireworks in their back garden(usually they are the quiet one's)but within 10 minutes it was quiet there too.

Think I'll do some radio listening, relax a little(that probably means I'll doze off)and have a little cup of tea.

Perhaps not the most exciting way to bring in a New Year or see out the old one but considering what a strange year it has been for many and the future could be, I'll settle for that.

Oh, whilst eating my buffet I managed to lose a tooth, it had on the cards for quite some time but seeing there was no pain and I wasn't eating anything hard it came as a little surprise and took me a little while to realise which one it was.

Update:Little if anything of the buffet remains(so that was a success)looks as though I have an order for a cocktail later today(the same or possibly an alternative)It's really quiet and not a soul to be seen neighbourwise. It seems cold outside but warm and cosy indoors. We've already had a visit from British Gas on the last day of the year so I guess that will be the first bill to drop on the mat in 2009.

I awoke with painful knees so have taken some pain killers, at least I have little to do and can take it easy. Mum is on her pain killers but still feeling the pain. I guess this is to be expected for some time and she can discuss her progress with her Dr when he visits again on Tuesday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Gildy - a very Happy New Year to you and to your Mum. I hope that things improve on the health front and that there is some good news this year for you.

3 January 2009 at 12:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home