My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, December 26, 2008

The Cost Of Booze...

I have come to the conclusion that some of the most famous and probably delicious cocktails will have to be rationed by me...making them at home will mean that they are less expensive than when purchased in a pub or a nightclub.

But I'll make certain they are a special treat. Have you looked at how much Tequila as an example you get in a bottle? It's the same for most of what's on the shelves at the supermarket or off licence. And the price...but much of the price alcohol costs goes in taxes to Government. So far I cannot see much saving buying on the net. I'll have to ration myself or make the drinks a bit smaller. I can understand why people used to brew their own booze to avoid paying taxes etc...

And yet we have a Government looking into raising the price of alcohol still further because of recent reports of how the young are getting tanked up and risking health problems and violence. Someone is buying it and there must be proof but if you look at the population as a whole, the few will affect the enjoyment of the masses if the prices are increased and I'm afraid to me, its too expensive already.

I suspect the reason(and the alcohol)causing the problem are the very cheap beers and lagers and what we need is the expensive liqueurs and spirits need to be brought down in price and the really cheap booze that isn't bought for the taste just the effect it has there might be an excuse for slightly restricting who its available for on age and price.

If you look back in Britain's history our drinking culture has been much worse than it is today. However, with the media access we have today we hear so much more of what is happening. Victorian and Edwardian times were much worse if what I have seen or heard in recent documentaries on television and radio.

So I think most of the cocktails I make will be non alcoholic which will keep costs down or I can add something like Vodka and use fruit juice/soft drinks to make up the volume.

I reckon some of these drinks will cost a few quid a time. So that will restrict things still further.

Mind here's some new and seemingly great sites...

Drinks Mixer

Drinks Swap

The Webtender

Jeffrey Morgenthale's Blog

Cocktail Blender

Bols Cocktails

Want to buy some booze? Well naturally always weigh up if a company is reputable but try this one...

The Drink Shop

By the way, if you think you can indulge in other luxuries...think again, they say that the cocoa bean has been affected by the weather and other things this past year and it means that chocolate will become even more expensive for the foreseeable future so another pleasure may be closed off to us. And there is the story(myth or otherwise)that chocolate companies are making their products smaller but charging the same price or more and in the UK a story broke that in one well known range of Christmas variety some items had been removed and replaced with a less expensive choice.

And I still believe that a lot of music and films are overpriced especially now that they are so readily available on tv and radio 24/7 and repeated over and over again. They would sell much more and have less problems with piracy with the main population if prices were brought down to an acceptable level. I know when I buy a cd I have to watch the price and really want it as the money will be diverted to other essentials over pleasure. Usually it's in the back catalogue range of material though. I can't see it changing though.

As usual anything that you enjoy you have to pay for. Just once wouldn't it be great to have what you dislike and can do without and would not miss would rise in price instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Spot on about media coverage Gildy - the access to newspapers from around the world, not just the U.K, means we can learn about so-called 'horror' stories in minutes.

I have a book by William Fishman called East End 1888, which was written about that particular year and it was far worse than anything we experience now in terms of social problems and crime - how many people are aware of the fact that there were at least seven attempts on the life of Queen Victoria when she appeared in public for example, or that questions were raised in the House of Commons about the influx of immigrants during 1888?

29 December 2008 at 12:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'd like to read that...maybe I'll have look if I can get it from the local library...I hear that people did not like going out much after 7pm and were practically prisoners in their homes until the next day.

Humans will always mis behave...

29 December 2008 at 15:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home