My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Depression?

Well, there's bound to be some isn't there?

If someone said you can lay in bed for hours but it's your own choice, and you can get up whenever you wish its somehow different to enforced incarceration. Pain is still bad and I don't know if it's worse and therefore the painkillers need to be stronger or they are losing their effect.
And as every day is much the same I can understand some depression creeping in, for the time being I am managing a reasonably variety of food as good as what was on offer in hospital during her stay. One problem is that Mum tends to play down when she is ill and does not like telling people when she is really ill so she makes it sound as though it is nothing. She'll not say "I've crushed a vertebrae" or broken a bone in my back, she'll just say I've hurt my back when talking to friends and she'll not tell neighbours if she can help it. I suspect she would even be that way with anyone sent to help her recovery or care for her.

We've had a lousy cold and cough on top of all this which at last seems to be improving(I suspect we caught it whilst in hospital)when I was a patient 10 years ago funnily enough I too developed a cough but as soon as I came out of hospital it disappeared.

Tomorrow, It's my turn for my check up to see how I am doing, I hope things are OK but this time the blood tests are more extensive and have to be done at the hospital so I will be waiting that dreaded phone call that may say things are not as good, all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. All the stress and worry over Mum may not have helped and this will be the first time she has not been able to go with me, someone will notice. And be upset and surprised by the news when they find out.

You do not always realise how you are missed until something like this happens.

Update:Nurses and Consultant sent their best wishes to Mum for a speedy recovery. I had the big test done and await good or bad news(if all is ok I will be seen in January close to the same time as Mum with her own Consultant)

A letter arrived from the Dr's Surgery(they still have Mum as under the wrong Dr)and now when she's well enough they want to have her "Breasts checked!" though there is no hurry and nothing to be concerned about and it has nothing to do with her fall.

So I mentioned that that was the wrong Dr and that her own Dr was supposed to be coming out to see her at the end of this week, she said we could discuss it with him...Guess what Mum is not down for a home visit so we are now waiting to see what the receptionist finds out when she talks to him later today and phones us back. Hopefully, he'll visit tomorrow. And see how she's doing and see that we have enough medication over the Christmas period. Wouldn't you know it...he called today whilst I was out and Mum did not hear him so he's calling again tomorrow. And I know already from what she says, she's going to play this down which makes it seem as though it's nothing but it is serious. Its in her nature, what can you do?

My consultant says I have lost weight and that my blood pressure was very low today so I am still on all the tablets as before but the Blood Pressure tablets have been reduced from 6mg per day to 2 mg so we'll see how things go(I have been feeling lightheaded lately)so this may make a difference.

Boots redeemed itself further, there is a young man on the Pharmacy department who knows his stuff and has been most concerned about Mum and tonight he spent ages with me telling me the different ways the painkillers and Paracetamols could/should be taken so they have the most beneficial effect at killing the pain. If taken too often the body gets used to them so at some point if it's possible you need to space them out or take a break before starting again.

Whilst there he found a cough bottle that should ease us and get rid of our little cold we brought home with us seemingly from hospital, you often come home with something extra to what you go in with.

I also purchased some more of my Garlic tablets(I believe in them)and I purchased a tube of Berocca tablets which are a kind of multi vitamin/mineral tablet that dissolves in water to give an orange flavour(and I was given a second tube for free)

It's looking more positive isn't it?

Update:Another day, I'm not sure that Mum will ever feel as confident getting around as she improves so will need someone watching out for her but the signs are good. The overall opinion is that progress of a good recovery is likely and today it was even said that though a crushed vertebrae is serious, a broken hip would probably caused many more problems.

Also we've both had our drugs to keep us going through Christmas replenished(she was quite truthful to her Dr, played things down slightly, but I had warned him before hand and I'm sure that he has seen this with many patients and can read the signs)he has also given her an extra painkiller that could help when the others seem not to work. It's a horrible day out there raining a lot, cold and windy but I must go out to get the prescription filled and get some bread and milk.
I hope to be home ASAP and I think tonight I'll arrange to get my fish and chips again :-)

Update:The fish and chips were ready on time but the Taxi was 20 minutes late this time!

Unfortunately, mum's Codeine was missed off the prescription so I've had to re-order them for next week before everything closes down for Christmas. But the new painkiller looks promising which as she's having a bad time tonight could be a blessing if she manages to sleep through the night!

Did the new painkiller make any difference and do the trick? Not at all, It made no difference whatsoever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home