My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, December 07, 2008

It's Not Digital...It's Not Stereo...

Many People(it is said)have a radio in practically every room...some have them tuned to different stations. Some the same and it means if they have to go into another part of the house they can continue listening to the same programme and not lose track of a favourite piece of music or a breaking news story, perhaps a drama.

Usually this is instead of walking about with a portable radio though these days perhaps someone might be listening via something similar to an I-Pod. It could be a podcast that has been downloaded from the net.

One thing that DAB has changed in the home(if you can get a decent signal in "Every" room)is the delay on the audio. All radio that was analogue and available via LW, SW, AM and FM was received at the same rate on any piece of equipment but various DAB Radio's can be seriously delayed and can cause all kinds of problems by the processor decoding the signal, the technical design and each manufacturer might have different standards. And we have not mentioned what happens if you listen via a tv and the signal is delivered by satellite.

Well, I managed to find the radio in the Kitchen a few weeks ago was failing and I managed to snap the antenna off which killed off FM reception altogether.

I came across a radio in a supermarket, for under £5 it can't be very good can it? Well, what have I to lose? I don't want an expensive radio that can be damaged by what may happen in the kitchen whilst cooking or could get knocked over. Reception is not guaranteed. Certainly not on a DAB Radio.

There has been talk that analogue radio signals could be switched off in the future but nothing definite, the powers that be are determined to push digital radio. This past week some promised digital radio transmitters to help improve coverage across the UK had the plug pulled on them. I think I read though it was officially a delay(these transmitters)may never be built. That does not instill positive thoughts about how DAB broadcasting may go in the UK. There has been a lot of negative publicity about DAB Radio in recent months. Some promised stations have been knocked on the head. And some stations have closed.

I thought OK I may not be able to hear some of the stations on air now and none of those only available on DAB but I can still hear most/all the BBC stations local/national and the same regarding commercial stations via LW/AM/FM and guess what this radio had all three of these wavelengths. So how could I be robbed?

I gave it a try and it's working fine. As I said its not stereo, DAB, it does not have preset buttons and you have to turn a wheel to make the pointer move to the stations you wish to hear but I can put up with that, there is a little interference on AM so the radio must be picking up something from in the house but not enough to worry me, I tend to know what I want to listen to music or speech and I can recognise the station usually without looking at the dial(maybe a problem if you cannot see)I know when I want to hear a particular programme or be entertained in general so...I'm happy. It's only for using if I am making a cup of tea.

Today it is rare to find a radio offering these three wavelengths combined. You usually only get AM/FM and LW is often dropped but is a favourite with British living in Europe as they can access commentary on cricket matches in the Summer or Radio 4 programmes the rest of the year. But these days(officially/unofficially)many listen via satellite, cable or the net abroad. The sound is much improved using these other methods. But LW does still have it's uses such as the Angler who might spend hours on a river bank. It allows the population to listen whilst FM carries Radio 4's usual programmes of news, drama, comedy, documentaries and more.

I probably shouldn't have but as I write this I have virtually polished off a bag of Gourmet Jelly Beans by The Jelly Bean Factory, they are a bit special and have flavours you'll not find anywhere else. It must be years since I last purchased a packet(I think I was in Edinburgh, Scotland approx 10 years ago and was in some kind of shopping Mall that was below ground in the Waverley Station area?)I found this packet in my local Woolworths store. Just a time when it's closing down and there was very little stock remaining.

The Jelly Bean Factory

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Gildy, a client recently went to Australia to visit one of their children. Whilst they were away the house caught fire and only the kitchen was destroyed, the fireman said that was due to the granite work tops stopping the fire spreading. Anyway the cause of the fire was investigated and it was traced to a DAB radio which had been left switched on to deter burglars - apparently the capacitors in most Digital Radios are not up to prolonged useage and this one just caught fire.

9 December 2008 at 18:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home