My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, December 08, 2008

On Top Of Everything Else...

And my health worries...unexpectedly, early this morning Mum fell downstairs. I heard a clatter and thought maybe something had fallen over in the bathroom. After all I was half asleep myself. Then maybe 10 minutes later I heard her call out. I found her at the bottom of the stairs.

For now she is resting in bed but knows later on that she needs checking out. Hopefully nothing is broken or cracked. But they will probably x-ray and then decide whether to keep her in. If it requires a hospital visit this will be her third time, in recent times. She fell the same way on the other occasion and was reasonably ok other than shock and in need of her arm being dresses and a wound to be stopped bleeding, the other time she saved herself by putting her arms/hands out and injured her wrists. She's had a few minor falls in the bedroom.

Being half asleep herself might've worked in her favour as she would be less rigid and probably rolled down the stairs. Whether she had blacked out before or afterwards I am unsure. If she did blackout. I suspect she certainly did after the fall hence the delay calling for help.

I have been a little lightheaded of late and know how that feels, I heard on the radio that if you feel that way the quickest way to lose the fainting is to drop to ground/lowest level possible. I suppose if you do not manage to, you'll fall anyhow but unfortunately if you are in the wrong place, it depends whether you fall on the landing or where the stairs are. I have instilled for sometime that she never stands at the top of the stairs in case of possible accidents.

It will be strange if I become a carer for her and am needed at home. I could not imagine leaving her alone. And she is most insistent that she will not go into residential care. For some time I have not allowed her to attempt to go out without me being there and using a taxi to go any distance. Initially, she has scrubbed her arm on the carpet, has some pain in her neck, arm and back. Mainly, up on moving but I hope this is a bit like whiplash rather than damage.

I cannot say what will have happened by the end of today. She will be amazed and probably not too happy I have mentioned this on my blog or the net in general as she is quite a private person. I'll keep you up to date here.

Update:It's 6pm and I have managed to get some soup into Mum...I am about to have something to eat myself...get shaved and will then set the wheels in motion and see what happens next. She has a nightdress, face cloth, soap ready. I think she will be x-rayed and could be spending a few days in hospital(now whether that means an operation?)

I hope that they can get her better again...

Which hospital will she be sent? Well, the local hospital is fighting to keep accident and emergency over so she may be sent to the other hospital in another town(we are between two so could be sent to either)

Unless they send her to one even further away?

Keep us in your thoughts and pray all will be well...

Update:If we believe what we are being told...prognosis is good. The Dr showed me Mum's X-rays. She has a crushed vertebrae.They are hopeful no operations are likely but we'll know better after some scans tomorrow.

Thankfully, though crushed it has not seemingly(unless there are some splinters)that they've missed spread outwards and it should fuse in time and not stop her mobility too much(I hope)though it may mean more use of pain killers.

They have seen worse cases(they say)the pain will lessen as the days go on...she may get home earlier than she thinks...they want to get the brace or corset on and get the bone settled to avoid her getting a lump or hump. It's shown up this time but I wonder if she's done this ages ago and just been picked up on. I hope that she does not have to wear the corset for good. And now I am told to expect social getting involved and all kinds of aids being installed(possibly a stair lift)and until she's totally better some daily nursing care.

But how do we stop her having further falls and in particular falling downstairs?

They took some blood tests in case they've missed something and they wanted to double check her ECG. So I hope that is nothing else to worry about.

We've been lucky in many aspects...I'm not sure if I'll get to bed...I should try but within 4 hours I need to see her Dr and tell him what's happened and maybe get something for me.

And try and tell a few of her friends what's happened. I actually think she received better care and kinder treatment from the hospital she eventually ended up(Darlington)than Bishop Auckland. And we've always rated BA as the one we go to if we do require treatment. That's a personal opinion, others may say different.

It's strange her not being in the home...she must be bad to complain of the pain as she was. I'm not used to seeing her grimace. I'm thinking of going through and eating my lunch and evening meal at the hospital restaurant and if I time it right I can go straight into see her when visiting hours happen you get two visits 2.30pm-3.30pm and 7pm-8pm. Its just not worth coming home between visiting hours so I guess I'll be there for approx 8 hours.

Update:Swings and Roundabouts kind of a day Last night possibly one broken bone and positive vibes. This afternoon, talk of more bones being broken and Mum being told to lay totally flat and not to move her legs or head, she should not really have her head on a pillow. But she cannot resist moving her limbs and if caught they keep saying keep those legs down.

She could cause further damage and/or delay the time it takes for the injury to improve. If she does as she is supposed to she can lay flat in bed at home just as she is doing at Hospital(they'll be wanting that bed)

Well, the latest this afternoon was so so. Tonight after an MRI Scan they are upbeat again and we're talking one crushed vertebrae again. The Dr who saw her was talking of sending her home but wants the ok from The Consultant so we'll see what happens. Of course she wants to be home, I want her home but I would rather a delay if it actually is better for her recovery. They could be rushing things as a lot of care will be needed at home. One crushed vertebrae may be played down by those who decide who can receive help and be dismissed. But from now on she will be vulnerable.

But it's still better if you can stay in your home rather than a care home. And a recent report published in the press yesterday shows it's less expensive and the care is probably better too. And still find it degrading that residents in many homes are given what is classed as pocket money.

Update:We certainly go round the topics on here don't we? Food, Politics, Digital Radio, Health...and now it's Mum and her illness. Well, under 80 hours and tomorrow afternoon unless something unexpected happens they are pleased with her progress and she will be allowed home. Now this will mean taking things slowly but doing here what she was doing at hospital, resting much of the time in the same flat position but also to avoid being stiff and muscles wasting away some gentle walking and movement. There is talk of being called in and having her progress checked as an outpatient and I have no doubt her GP will keep an eye on her too. But she looks happier. That has to help. Getting back into your own familar surroundings. I will have to be there watching over her. Especially when she wants to walk about and if she dares venture out, I'll have to support her. Have to is not really the word I'd use, I want to and should.

We have got off lightly considering(at least it looks as though we have...but it's early, early days) But just because she's home quick I don't want the powers to be to dismiss what's happened as nothing and that everything is as it was before. Any similar incident could cause even more damage and there will have to be much time and care given to recovery and to avoid further problems in the future and after all everyone is getting older.

You do worry that they try to get you out of hospital too soon but they do need the beds. But they'd have nothing to gain if they had to call you in because they were rushing matters. Mum speaks highly of the care she's received and said the hospital food was good too. That does not mean that she "Likes" hospitals...someone must. It's good that they exist but nicer if you can stay away from them.

She's home now and it's going to be a long haul...having had to sit around a lot today waiting to come home and travel in a taxi etc...she is in much pain and needs to lay down and do as she did in hospital.

Oh and in the patient dispatch information...get this, they have the right GP practice on the forms(wrong GP)and her home address is given as one she lived at over 45 years ago possibly longer...and they were told all the correct information. Human error or computer? We hope to see her Dr tomorrow. She sees(unless something happens in the meantime)her Consultant as an outpatient to see how her progress is going on January 23rd next year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I'm glad your Mum's okay after her fall Gildy. I know what you mean about getting light headedness, the problem is that it can be caused by both high and low blood pressure so it's good to be checked out at the hospital and get the all clear.

9 December 2008 at 18:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home