My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, July 04, 2008

What Was Meant To Be A Quick Trip And Then Home To Rest...

Took longer than planned and became a major shopping trip yesterday...but I was so slow...and I had to sit down whenever possible and take care of some personal matters(which I won't go into here)earlier blog entries give details of what they happen to be. And I was helped by my regular helper at the supermarket who always offers to pack my shopping away for me(without me asking for help)and the Taxi Driver who brings everything up to my front door.

Upon getting home, most of the night I was tired.

But with no room in the freezer and I have topped up my provisions cupboard of stable foods like soups, baked beans, tinned fruit, mayonnaise(I found some new varieties manufactured by Heinz, one with Garlic and another with Tomatoes)etc...but it was a day for mainly buying fresh produce.

And discovering some new tastes along the way and asking why have I waited until now.

I was until a few years ago a person that avoided Strawberries...now I love 'em. And I have made up for lost time.

Well, friends of mine on a forum have been talking about cherries, so I took the plunge and bought my first yesterday. They are lovely. I now find myself asking why have I never ever thought of buying any before. What put me off?

Was it the price? The fact you have to get a stone out of the fruit? The fact that up to now I have only ever eaten the kind of cherry you have included in a tin of fruit cocktail or added to a cocktail? Well, I'll certainly be having some more.

Oh, I was about to buy my grapes and though a bit more expensive, I saw some already packaged and including two types...green and I think the others are red(though to me they look brown to me)Now, once again being more adventurous of late I am going to admit that I actually think I prefer the taste of these red grapes to those I have always purchased(the green one's)they seem sweeter. And I do prefer, as these are, small grapes to those really large one's.





So with my cereal today for Breakfast I have probably managed to eat two portions of the recommended 5 portions of fruit and veg a day. And though people claim it's difficult to do, it's so easy.

Also, the supermarket chain that I have to use has reduced all salad and a lot of fresh vegetables in price and in the case of salad items practically every item you can think of that you need to make a salad costs no more than 50p each. So if this can be done now, even if profit margins are squeezed I hope it continues. The extra business of customers should mean that in reality profits will still be up.

Otherwise consumers will be driven further away to the discount stores where basic foods are at low, low prices. Which if you have access to transport and live where such stores are they will take the business. I am all for such stores and wish we had one on our town(I know they offer quality)but as they stick to popular lines, variety of choice might suffer.

On my trip I treated Mum and myself to a variety of soup that I have not tried before(you'll remember we tried Cream Of Asparagus a few days ago)and I said it was reasonably nice and probably most enjoyable on a cold Winter's night.

Well, I purchased a can of Baxters Luxury Broccoli, Stilton and Smokey Bacon soup. And after packing all the shopping away and it being late in the day, it turned out that I had missed lunch and it had come around to teatime. So we had that. It was really tasty. You felt good whilst eating it and equally as good afterwards. In fact you did not want to spoil things by eating or drinking anything immediately afterwards. So I took to my bed to rest and just enjoy the feeling of having eating something so lovely.

Later in the evening we kept things very simple by having a fried egg, a little ham, some oven chips and using the remainder of the sauce we had used over the Tortellini earlier in the week over the chips, we made that do and that too was very tasty. So there's some really good meals we've enjoyed of late and no effort at all.

Amongst a number of other items being promoted and being offered at discount or half price I found a packet of Bird's Eye Fish Fingers...but not just any old Fish Finger's, oh no...but a limited edition where they have a hint of Lemon added. So something else to deliver a verdict on.



And finally, a real treat for myself, I managed to find a long sleeved light blue shirt with a fine white stripe and a soft texture reduced from £8 to £4 and some base ball caps officially licenced and promoting Formula1 Racing and I really thought should I buy or shouldn't I as they were priced at £7. I decided to go ahead...when I reached the checkout and paid the hat was not £7 but had been reduced to £1.75 so I returned and purchased a second in the other colour available so I have one in red and one in black and I have saved £11. It is made of a soft material and both also had a keyring with Formula1 logo made of metal and enamel. So I have given the spare one to Mum for her house key.

So, all in all it was a good day. And with all the cupboards and fridge/freezer packed I can avoid having to go out for many days and avoid wearing myself out.

Isn't it great to be happy with such simple things in life?


Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

You're making me feel hungry! Try gazpacho, you'll never fail to get your '5-a-day' again.
...have you won the lottery?...all these prepacked fruit and veg :-)

Red grapes are the only ones worth buying...those prepacked in your photo I used to get sevral times a week instead of a Big Mac (I was huge on junk food)

Not a cherry fan but the blue/black/cran/raspberry prepacked are also good...not sure I like your caps ;-)

5 July 2008 at 22:28  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S....hint of lemon? Bollocks...what about all the ketchup etc that we pile on them?

5 July 2008 at 22:30  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes Span,
I do all those berries...and Cranberry but that is usually in juice form(I haven't been able to get away with them in their natural form)because what I have found in the past is so hard unless they are dried and sweetened but I'll eat them and add them to cereal or whatever.

A big selling point of Cranberry is they are good for various ailments regarding what Monty Python used called "The Naughty Bits!" :-)

Buying anything other than soft fruit, you are stuck in my town, the local greengrocer has limited choice for loose items and whilst in Tesco's it's just as easy to buy your fruit if they have not sold out but prepacked often works out pretty expensive unless they have an offer on say half price, a pound knocked off or some promotion.

I sometimes think the portions are too small but even I struggle to eat all that I buy but the birds in the garden benefit. And I'd rather have to throw some away and enjoy what I am able to than just not buy it in the first place.

I use more than I waste.

The Fish Fingers, most certainly tomato ketchup is a must and still Bird's Eye seem to take some beating and though sometimes Fish Fingers get some stick...they're fine...it's fish and hey it's what you serve up with them.

And they are on offer(Normally £1.99)at present 99p.

I have the habit of looking at some food and thinking "That's expensive, I'm not buying that" but forget that often I can get two meals out of something or give half to Mum, and then that actually means if something cost £3it's really bringing each meal down to £1.50 per person. That is then reasonable value.

I may put up images of my food store but even then you cannot see what's behind the front rows of everything but there is variety...

I cannot believe at 5am today I am here in the bedroom eating grapes and an apple.

It's one thing to say you dislike fresh fruit and veg but when someone says it's difficult to eat the right amount, that's no excuse.
My hats!

Oh Well :-) Still ok for the price and at least I did not part with £7...

6 July 2008 at 07:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home