My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

More Food Discoveries...

I'm saving this packet until next week and deciding what to do with it. It's a snack. I have never tasted before and I cannot decide if I can eat these as they are or need to purchase(and if so what)a dip of some kind to dip them in to give them extra flavour. I've never really been a dipping kind of person. But they looked interesting so I thought, I'd give them a go.

Update:I've tried them...they're ok but a little bit brittle, tastewise for me, I could not taste the garlic much at all, I think they will be improved if they are dipped in some kind of flavoured dip.

Posted by Picasa


As far as I know this is a first. I will, in a few minutes be eating Cream of Asparagus soup.

Update:I can imagine eating it again. Pleasant taste and easy on the palate(Get me with my fancy talk)not too strong. I can imagine eating it after coming home on a cold Winter's night to warm you.

Asparagus is a new vegetable to me. I tried it a few weeks ago having purchased a can of Asparagus under the Green Giant label. I was thinking of purchasing fresh Asparagus but the price and the fact I did not think I could use all that I would be buying it seemed a good idea to buy this can as it was from the illustration on the can what I needed. It had all been chopped into suitable sizes pieces and could be added to the recipe a friend had given me to try.

I had to salvage what I could as to be honest it was more like slop when I opened the can. I have another in the house which I hope will be better up on opening sometime. If not that will be the last I will purchase. I can't send an empty can back to the manufacturer's to make my point...I'm not sure it's worth the bother. The date on the can was fine.

What I have found the most difficult to obtain is a simple and plain(nothing fancy)Onion soup. Another friend happened to mention he was starting a special meal this weekend with this as a starter and I suddenly thought I fancy that.

I found one can(I forget the brand)but it was fancy and not what I was looking for. A basic Onion soup and nothing else.

Just as I was about to give up I found Baxter's have a version that is as close as I am going to manage to get to my original choice except that it is not a plain soup, I have had to buy one that has other ingredients added. So it is Carrot, Chick Peas and Onion Soup and I notice it also contains in the ingredient list Potato.


Posted by Picasa



All this choice and you are unable to find a simple Onion soup. But I have not given up...just yet!

Update:It's mainly a carrot based soup and I'm not sure that I could taste any onion but it is a very tasty soup and a nice variety.

I can report that I have finally got around to having my French Onion Soup(Baxters)very tasty. It contained masses of Caramelised Onions with Sherry and Cider Vinegar.

You can spend a lot on speciality soups but what a simple and inexpensive dish soup can be and what choice. 68p for this variety and that gives two decent sized bowls. 34p per serving, which you can have with toast or a crusty roll?

By The Way in case you are interested...here's the recipe for that Salmon Dish...

Ingredients: Pack of lightly smoked salmon fillets(usually available in two's)

Linguine

Parsley

Asparagus chopped into small segments

Lemon juice

Creme fraiche

Cheese (finely grated)

Optional...Butter a sheet of tin foil and scatter with broken stalks of parsley. Place salmon fillet on top, douse with lemon juice, black pepper and a smidgen of salt.

Put in preheated oven for 15 minutes 220c

Boil kettle and chop rest of parsley.

Put linguine into boiling water and boil for ten minutes. Add the asparagus for the last minute.

Drain pasta and asparagus and put into great big bowl.

Flake the salmon and add it, chuck in the cheese and creme fraiche.

6 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Asparagus can be nice on it's own. Here they have a satrter that's young green stalks lightly cahrred on a hotplate with a dash of olive oil and served with fresh sliced tomato (the big greeny-red ones, not sur eof the name)

Also they eat a lot of them tinned (yuck) and they're all white and squidgy...funnily enough when they commentate on English premeiership football and Liverpool are playing they call Crouch el asparago (tall, white, lanky-thin streak of...)

;-)

Onion soup...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

29 June 2008 at 09:45  
Blogger Paul said...

I lived on French Onion Soup for a while in my late teens, I'm not sure I good eat it again now though.

Funny about the asparagus, we have hundreds of the little buggers delievered to us at work each May/June by a client who runs the biggest PYO in Hampshire. The only one in our house who likes it is Nathalie I've just never got to grips with it.

29 June 2008 at 15:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
I'm trying to see if I can have at least a couple of meals that are different or can be adapted in some way by me each week.

If they hit and miss so be it.

I used to but it's easy sometimes just to do the usual simple meals(all well and good in their way)like Beans on Toast or whatever.

But even something a little different can be accomplished quickly in reality.

Following on from the discussion on Baldinio's Blog about the welfare of chickens etc...

That's what I'm having later today and it's not worked out much more price wise to have a chicken that it is claimed has been looked after and given a bit of a life before giving it up for me to enjoy.

So the suprmarket that has been getting some negative publicity do offer alternatives already.

So I guess I will sometimes work with ingredients already chosen and other times try and mix and match from what I find
in the cupboard or fridge/freezer.

I have a habit of looking at pictures of food in books and imagining producing the recipes but often that's as far as I get :-)

29 June 2008 at 16:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

29 June 2008 at 16:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
Im not sure that I could go overboard for it but I can accept it perhaps as an ingredient but it does seem over priced/over prized by chefs and cooks alike.

Soup may prove the easiest and most acceptable way to have it.

Then again, I have just discovered Spinach. And I realise that I probably could eat it as a salad ingredient as an alternative to Lettuce.

29 June 2008 at 16:42  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Spinach is great as a salad green...but eat it...don't save it because it won't last 2 or 3 days -loses its goodness very quickly.

29 June 2008 at 22:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home