My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

As Reported On The Radio...

One in ten children are obese...according to some survey or statistics issued by a British Government department...and surprise, surprise they say poor and deprived areas are more likely to see their young in this state.

Hearing this on a London based station's news, an area suggested as being poor is Hackney. At the end of the story, the reporter said the trimmest in the UK is...

Children in the North East of England...in particular Country Durham.

Pardon?

That's worth repeating again...County Durham.

If there is anything bad health wise or telling us that too many are on benefit, unemployed and so on. they always single out towns and cities in areas like here.

So we are obviously doing something right for once...

I do wonder though throughout the day on various media outlets and in the press anyone will mention this fact and give it the publicity it deserves. Rather than leaving it all down to a station in London to mention it.

I did find a reference to the story in a local regional newspaper and guess what...they found and printed practically a negative story with little acknowledgement to improvement here for once.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

"If there is anything bad health wise or telling us that too many are on benefit, unemployed and so on. they always single out towns and cities in areas like here.

So we are obviously doing something right for once..."...that or the children are starved...or thin from running from the police...!

;-)

24 June 2008 at 22:46  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think you are close to the truth Span...

Some of the information put out will be slanted because it means they can justify the policies they want to introduce or why they are doing what they are and if it's said often enough just maybe the public will believe what tehey are being spun. Don't start me on Global Warming.

I've always seen "Fat" people but I would not say I have seen any more than I ever have. And if most of the young I have seen in my own area are to go by they always seem to be outside playing or visiting a gym somewhere.

Getting them to stay in and watch tv seems less likely.

24 June 2008 at 23:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home