My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

The last few days I have been so sleepy. Able to drop off at the drop of a hat. And knowing my check up at the Dr's(Blood count)was due as well as my appointment with my consultant, you wonder if this means a set back.

But no, I continue to seemingly move in the right direction(it's a long hard slog though)I can accept staying stable as opposed to going in the wrong direction.

All readings suggest I'm holding my own(so to speak)

As it happened today another Dr had come over to the out patients surgery with the Consultant and that was who I saw. Very approachable, again volunteering information about my results and condition, answering questions. Probably, telling more than I have heard in many years. Shaking my hand and introducing himself and when I thanked him for his time and help, he said that was was what he was there for or words to that affect.

We've heard stories and seen experts and consultants often portrayed in films and novels as being of a superior attitude and treating patients with contempt. It may still happen or such incidents are anecdotal but I have to say I have found the opposite to be true and I have always been treated with respect and kindness. I have never felt inferior or on a different level.

A change of attitude from the medical profession? Or does it also depend on the attitude of "Us" the patients. You go in with a pleasant manner and you'll get the same back in return. Plus with long term conditions(this has been going on for 10 years)maybe we all get to know each other.

And in something like the NHS where so many are seen, sometimes unintentionally where time is precious, everyone is busy, that personal touch is lost.

It's funny though this positive attitude has tended to follow me most of my life. If I am being served in a shop, the hospital restaurant, in a taxi...people want to talk or offer their help. Even, before all this had to be faced.

So steroids have once again been reduced and they've been explained more to me what they are doing in reducing the inflammation of the kidneys. The immune suppressants damp down my system which in turn tries to keep the steroids doing their job. The side effects being that you increase weight, can have an increased appetite and usually you have an increase in the size of your tummy(which can result in stretch marks)and an increase in the size of your face and neck)

Yep, I have those symptoms.

Anyhow, in recent visits I have noticed they are paying more attention(well, my ears have pricked up at little things said out of earshot)to my albumen and today this Dr told me more about it. That is where my protein leaks into and they try to reverse it. Yes, my cholesterol is high and that is due to the loss of protein. So I asked today, should I restrict myself on anything diet wise such as dairy products. Skimmed milk was mentioned(I don't have much anyhow)but I tend to use Semi-skimmed. The last time I used Skimmed...I really did not notice much difference in colour or taste so perhaps I could get away with it.

Or maybe it's OK in tea and coffee but Semi is best for use in food. I mentioned ways to try and get the cholesterol down so went into more detail what I was doing and he gave the green light to taking Garlic and eating Porridge. Diet restrictions? Avoid high fat and too much cheese. That would appear to be that.

My diet is mainly good and I mainly stick to fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken and I do drink a fair bit of good old fashioned water. I hope that I get enough variety of vitamins and minerals from the food that I eat and my only concession to any supplements are two Pomegranate tablets for vitamin C, one Zinc tablet for the Immune system, a Cranberry tablet for uniary health and I'd say that's about it.

So I suppose that's where we are at present and fingers crossed if nothing suddenly changes and throws things I return for my next appointment in four weeks time.

I don't get out much unless it's the weekly shopping trip by taxi a few streets away so I almost look forward to my hospital visits and the little snack we have afterwards in the hospital restaurant. Even it usually is just chips(french fries)baked beans and a buttered soft bread roll.

Followed by a mug of tea. Which I probably could cook at home(and do often)but having it done for you makes a change. For the two of us(Mum and me)I don't think £4.05 is bad value.

We choose an appointment time that allows us a little extra time to get ready.

They always had us down the hospital approx 9am-10am, now we aim for lunchtime...that way we get chance to wake up a little later, it's easier to get a taxi, we feel more awake and after the appointment manage to hit the lunchtime.

And upon returning home usually, the taxi drops me off to get some bread and milk, my magazine about the Internet and my TV listings mag, possibly to pick up a prescription that has to be collected. And that's me finished then for many days ahead. As I then rest and try to boost my energy levels. This is especially true with the other condition I have to be careful over.

All this on top of my computer problems(one requiring to be taken away for repair)but thankfully coming back with only a power pack being replaced(and sounding much quieter)but taking forever to sort out connections and to get it all set up as I had it originally so I can record my audio files. I thought it was going to fail me but I managed in the end.

And today in my rush to get out to the taxi, I was unsure if I had my mobile phone with me and in checking I managed to drop it outside my front door onto the path and see it smash and the back fly off. I expected it to be broken and scratched(it was a gift from my Uncle)I put the back on it again, checked it out in the taxi, no scratches, phoned a number, it worked. I got off lightly and then...noticed one corner had been damaged.

Upon getting home, I decided at the risk of making matters worse to try and take out the rough damage of the casing by using an emery board(all the time wondering if I may scratch the casing further)as it happens, I succeeded reasonably well and it's smoothed enough, the colour has not changed a great deal through sanding it down and I think I have been very lucky this time.

So as they say things happen in three's, I have had mine this week...the computer, the phone and myself which all came out well.

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Sounds very encouraging Gildy - I'm sure you're helping by taking so much care.

Re the attitude of doctors/consultants etc I've always found them very - very - good at what they do and how to communicate, I suspect teh tales we hear are about the 'middle men' who aren't quite at the top...but think they should be...they have the know-how but haven't had the time to realise they are what they are and they don't need to show-off to make everyone realise 'who' they are...the big-wigs are past this and are oh so very good at 'not' showing you (and of course by doing so they impress everyone mightily!) Then of course a certain percentage of any profession are just 'good-blokes'....and vice versa!

23 June 2008 at 15:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I do wonder how far we have come in the ten years since I first took ill. As at that time my consultant offered me the chance to take part in a trial or try what he had found as a successful treatment with another of his own patients and I went with his treatment.

Back then I had to sign a document to say I was giving my permission...come to think of it this time...I was never asked(I would've said yes though)

Back then all the news on the net and from what he was telling me, it appeared to be rare.

I'm sure there is much in what you say regarding those trying to make it in the world of medicine.

I've discovered some new items at the supermarket(New to me)so I expect some reviews in future entries and whether I am impressed.

24 June 2008 at 04:11  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Look forward to the reviews! My ex was a guinea pig too (sorry!) She had a heart condition (completely unrelated to the problem our daughter has) and of course whilst in Venezuela she was on pills the whole time (NO no no!) When we moved to the UK we arranged for the operation and for several years afterwards she had to go up to London for the cardiac surgeon exam/training to see if they could tell what the problem WAS and how it had been fixed!

24 June 2008 at 22:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home