My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Food Glorious Food...

I don't know why but I seem to be on a health kick at present or thinking about food. So my blog seems to have taken a different direction from it's usual trend.

So even if I have little to say(and I know that's rare)if I find a safe site that I can link to that I think is worth sharing(and my virus software now checks sites to see that they are)I'll put them up and hope you'll enjoy.

So tie in with earlier sites I linked to when talking of food I have two new sites worth looking at.

The first is connected to one of the UK's most popular TV cooks who has also written many books over many years. I did look at her site ages ago and well...somehow forgot all about it. In that time it has improved greatly and it also now offers a lot of free content alongside some extra you can sign up for and there is a message board and much more. Delia has a section to help people with special needs regarding what they are able to eat.

Delia Smith

The other site is based in the USA and is massive.

Recipe Land

What you need more than anything is lots of time to look at everything and be able to decide with so many dishes to choose from what to cook for your meal be it a snack, main meal or some little treat.

I've added another link here that I have found that offers so much regarding finding products and services mainly organic based. Whether I can afford anything is another matter but it's seems a good resource to look for that something a bit special. In fact go to the home page and this resource offers much, much more.

A Lot Of Organics Search Engine

6 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

There's some good info there: on the Delia site she has what she calls 'cheats' and amongst them are a few companies with very good bits and pieces: olives etc.

I've been watching rugby all day: ENG vs NZ, Ireland vs OZ and just now SA vs. Wales, all 3 great games and Shane Williams turning 5 Springboks inside out was a joy to watch...although they lost again...now just Spain vs Sweden in Euro 2008 (footy) to be followed by more rugby (ARG vs Scotland) and I'll be well and truly pickled...just in time for my blood test on tuesday!!! :-)

...interesting that when I'm not sober I make fewer typos!

14 June 2008 at 16:06  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes, well, I have to admit I heard very little of our game this morning but we...didn't do so well(ahem)even with a new manager. Oh dear...

I have a blood test on Monday(it should've been Tuesday)but usually I am told that I phone to arrange it too soon and "Can you call back another day" This time it's resulted in all appointments having been taken.

My Consultant likes having had the test done so he has the information when I see him otherwise if it's taken at the hospital we have to wait to see if all was well.

He also seems happy to accept it if taken 48 hours before but not much longer so he may not be happy with the test being taken 72 hours sooner. We'll do it though and hope he is and that it's ok.

Good luck to you too. :-)

14 June 2008 at 16:20  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Good luck to you oo Gildy.

Re the rugby: what do you mean?!! We won the first 20 minutes and, even better, we won the last half hour 7 - 0! Can't be bad ;-)

14 June 2008 at 19:24  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I had to read that comment again :-)Sounds about right where we're concerned.

I await to see how my weight is on Thursday. I don't think I've put any on but I don't think any has come off either.

I'm eating good stuff and my portions do not seem large so...I've actually increased on foods that to me will not add calories fruit and veg. And will be especially good over the next week, what more can you do?

I will leave my two botles of cider and any wine in the fridge and drink a toast if things go well.

(I will if all is well do as I have taken to doing after my appointment)treat myself to a meal in the hospital restuarant,it's really the only meal "We" get a chance to have that is not cooked by us. The quality is good and it's not expensive.

Usually around £5 for two of us(That's a decent mug of tea)OK we share that and usually beans and chips or some other alternative depending on what they have on offer. And you are allowed to have as much or as little for the price.

This is if things go well.

We could arrange to go by ambulance I'm sure but it's quicker to use a taxi(and more expensive too!)

Mum likes to come down with me to give her support(I have to admit I feel better having someone there but doing it that way it works out for a return trip of around 14 miles a cost of £20.

To get to a bus stop(as my mobility is not what it was)would cost around £2.50(same coming home)and the bus fare probably means we've only added around £10 using a taxi. And you are dropped off at the exact place you want to be and it's quicker and more comfortable.

15 June 2008 at 02:08  
Blogger Span Ows said...

You don't have to convince me Gildy! My ex doesn't drive so get's cabs to and fro all the time, even with the weekly shop/whatever...it's cheaper than the local bus!!!...and as you say far more convenient.

15 June 2008 at 12:08  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, you know how long it will take to convince most of us to get out of our cars and use public transport, even from a practicle point of view.

It's not so good if you want to travel long distances. So you are kind of tied to staying at home because of the cost or need to plan to do as much as possible when you do go out.

But I do use a taxi to go to my shopping centre even though it's only three streets away from where I live. But for that £5 return trip(The taxi driver carries my shopping to the door for me)It costs around £5 if I get shopping delivered via online.

Though that can be handy too. But the taxi gets me out and I can see that I buy the latest dates on my goods and also I get chance to judge the quality.

Mind online shopping is getting easier(admitedly I talked to someone on the phone)but it is a webite.

I found a place selling fashionable shoes(and purchased two pairs for Mum)upto 50% discount, they arrived within 3 days, perfect fit but if not they could be returned with 14 days for £1.50.

Even without the adding of PP on the price of the shoes, the cost of a return taxi to our neighbouring town of Darlington and having to try various shops...

It's is like getting one pair of shoes for free through not paying taxi fares.

No wonder retailers are struggling.

Even if you are fit trying to take shopping on a bus is crazy. It's only ok if you need a few items.

Good to see you on Gavin's board again :-)

15 June 2008 at 19:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home