My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, May 23, 2008

The Angel Of The North



Image Credited to the following site and link
I'm sorry...I have seen this from a car as I passed by on the motorway and seen it featured many times on local news programmes close up. I'm sure it's an engineering marvel but it's a personal thing. I hate this sculpture that has become associated with the North East of England as The Angel Of The North. All I can say is that I think it's a waste of money and I am happy that I do not have to look at it every time I look out of a window on my home as some have to that live in the location that was chosen to erect this sculpture.
I mention it now because it appears at a time where money is tight and councils up and down the UK are being wound down and being replaced by larger unitary bodies my own town is thinking of adding some kind of modern sculpture.
An article has appeared in the local free sheet suggesting that...
We are to have something that resembles a giant head and will be not much short of being 50 feet in height(whatever that is in metres)It will be placed near or on the Business Park and cost somewhere in the region of £165,000. Is this the best we can do with what I assume to be money that was set aside and those in charge feel it should be spent before they lose access to it and leave this "thing" as a kind of historic lasting memory of the previous local authority.
I have found what I believe to be another of this artists works and used by Hull University and shown on their website which if it's anything to go by, it does not instill or make me feel any happier of the new commission we appear we'll be landed with.
See the following link...
He does seem to like using images of heads a lot in his works.

2 Comments:

Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy, the Angel of the North reminds me of an upended German WW2 bomber !

24 May 2008 at 10:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I know it's personal and what is iconic or beautiful depends on your own perception of art etc...and I'm sure many things over the centuries has incenced the public and been seen as a waste of money and and an eyesore but I just cannot take to this "thing" and heaven knows what the planned head we're being promised will look like when it's erected.

Until the small article I read this weekend I had no idea that it had been commissioned and any publicity seems to have been very quiet.

So far public reaction seems muted.

I like your description...and of course, it's changing colour as over the years it is getting rusty due to the effects of the weather. I assume one day it will start to go rotten. And may require maintenence...or on saftey grounds be pulled down.

By then, we'll probably not be around anyhow :-)

24 May 2008 at 16:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home