My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Aycliffe Head


Having mentioned the "Aycliffe Head" a new piece of modern art. A sculpture. One thing for sure is that information on this has been very scarce. The first I knew was when a letter appeared in the town's own free sheet criticising the cost and commissioning of the project but it appears that it's already signed, sealed and delivered.

It's personal thing and some people will love it but at an estimated cost of £165,000 possibly more, whilst it may be argued that sum cannot go very far, and councils try to justify what they spend and raise in taxes attempting to keep social and public services going, I personally see it as a waste of "Our" money and now feel more resentful of the design and erection of this "Thing" on the outskirts of my town. I am thankful that I do not live where I have no choice but look at it.

It will be bad enough seeing it when traveling into my town from the major neighbouring shopping centre but as it's been years since I went out of my immediate area I won't see it too often.

It may be said that my attitude would mean that much of the art from the past that is now treated with respect "Today" would not have been built and that critical response to such structures have always existed but whilst the artist intended it to be striking, past works seemed to sit well within the environment or location chosen to show it off. And often a monument had a reason behind it being commissioned in the first place. I can see no good reason behind this whatsoever.

I have searched the local press and the Internet and can still find hardly any reference to this so I give credit to my source and the image used. The article does try to put things in a positive light but it is obvious that there are reservations. Not least of all how the project has been seemingly handled so quietly.

Newton News

7 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy...is taht an artists impression? In the write-up it says work appears to be in progress but to me that photo looks false or at least touched-up. Something about the intense blackness of the supports (and the foiage covering part) doesn't ring true. Also the fact that in this day and age in the UK you would NEVER see people up like that without a plethora of supports, scaffolding etc (they don't even look like they have helmets...)

HOAX!

1 June 2008 at 20:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

There were things in the photo that I was dubious about, especially the guy standing on the head itself. But if this is a mock up to give an idea of what it's like...I'm still unhappy.

The money has been spent.

I suggested elsewhere that some of the structure may in time disappear behind the trees so all you see is the head above the foliage but it seems they are starting to add a shoulder so maybe it will have some body too.

I also seem to remember there is a story that Sedgefield Council or is it Durham County Council hacve invested in another public piece of art for another area that has been greeted with similar uninterest or complaints of money wasted.

It's only money...

2 June 2008 at 00:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The company building the head thingy have a website with real photos on it:

http://www.aycliffefabrications.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=88

14 May 2009 at 11:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, I thought that would be a link:

the aycliffe head

14 May 2009 at 11:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks for that...it's appreciated...whether we like it or not ;-)

14 May 2009 at 21:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's up now and it looks fantastic. A local landmark made by local people.

2 June 2009 at 13:37  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It's amazing to think that it is a year since I wrote this original post about this sculpture...I will probably return to it soon especially as you have mentioned that it is now up and on show...

Thanks again...

3 June 2009 at 09:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home