My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I Love Food

...And yet in reality over my life I have not been very adventurous. In what I have chosen to eat.

My diet has been good and nutritious but probably on the grounds of time, availability, finances etc...we've rotated the same dishes and menu choices and lots of tastes have passed me by.

I have always been interested in the connection of food to our well being(without going over the top)I think there is a lot of fads and rubbish talked over food and health. Many, many reports are not worth the paper they are written on, all you need is commonsense and many so called experts are taking the public for fools and making lots of money with unproven research that looks impressive and is no more than the image you have of the Quack Doctor selling some home made medicine that claims to cure all ills and turns up at some local agricultural show in one of those old western films that were popular in the 40's and 50's.

You may disagree with some what I am going to say here and whether you agree with my opinion it comes to down to personal feelings so I will offer a disclaimer.

I can think of nothing worse(and I hope it doesn't happen to me)but am prepared that it could due to my medical problems that I will be told that I have to go on a restricted diet. That I cannot eat certain foods.

But of late with my cholesterol readings being high, I have taken to taken a daily garlic capsule, I have managed to get some milk and spreads that claim to reduce cholesterol because they have added natural plant ingredients.

If they work...fantastic but as I am regularly checked I thought to myself I can have a course for a month or two and see if things have improved. If not, I can give up.

A lot of nutritionists believe that our guts contain bacteria. That there is good and bad and it's important to help the good do their work at keeping us healthy and to break down the food that we eat. If we become ill the balance is thrown and you need to replace what you have lost.

So I came across an uncomplicated article in the online edition of the Daily Telegraph earlier today which I think is quite informative without being too complicated and I realise recently I have without knowing it(commonsense again)been eating a diet that is hopefully helping me. And a nutritionist that seems quite straight forward, Julia FitzGerald who avoids lots of un-necessary information.

10-minute nutrition

So today not so much a blog entry about myself but sharing something with you my reader.

I also offer a link to site that looks interesting and my virus checker says is safe to visit, it's all things about food...

Food Reference. Com

This site also has access to a book you may find facinating that was mentioned in the following article. Maybe I'm being unfair and if I tried what is suggested without preconceived ideas I would enjoy but I think I'll pass.

Insects

The book published in 1885 by the entomologist Vincent M Holt is entitled 'Why Not Eat Insects?'

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Looks good Gildy, and my 'area' of expertise...maybe!

Will read in full at the weekend and answer...no time now!

:-)

5 June 2008 at 14:41  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Good on you Span...

As you'll see some extra bits have been added that you may find of interest.

7 June 2008 at 03:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home