My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Air Pollution Makes You Bald

Who believes that?

Well I may accept that diet and some environmental factors play their part but knowing how many medical problems and variations are caused by genes, I am more likely to believe that is the reason.

Otherwise am I to blame air pollution for my lack of hair. I don't live near a main road with lots of traffic, I'm not living near an industrial park with large factories putting lots of pollution into the sky. I eat and drink reasonably healthily.

The only possible hiccup in my argument is that my Father did smoke and the latest study by the University Of London does suggest that as a possible cause.

But I'm sure that many of those I see with thinning or lack of hair are not that way because of what their parents did as such. Baldness is known to be hereditary and at least the study acknowledges this. Oh, I think I could say the environment plays it's part in most things...and a study isn't always required to come up such ideas. It's good old common sense.

Would I like my full head of hair back again...of course I would. Does it bother me? Not really as I don't have to sit there looking at myself and I've never been one for preening myself and looking at myself in the mirror for hours. And in the end what's important? The fact that I'm here and alive.

When you hear the suffering people have in their lives, losing your hair is nothing in the great scheme of things. But in saying that I'm not trying to belittle how some would find this a devastating problem but it's mainly a problem caused by others and their reaction to those who have lost their crowning glory but it's probably due to the great emphasis the media and advertising sector put on image. I would hope that in this day and age we are more enlightened.

Baldness Study

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

"but it's mainly a problem caused by others and their reaction to those who have lost their crowning glory."

Well said Gildy. People often react in a way that suggest they assume you'd never noticed you'd gone bald. It's the equivalent of shouting at Fatty Arbuckle, "Oi, fatso." Yes, so?

I used to have a client who called me Curly - simply because, and you have to be of a certain age here, there was a bald Harlem Globetrotter called Curly. Our secretary got quite protective of me one day and said, "Don't you know that is so insulting?". It's never bothered me, after all what's more likely to kill me, diabetes, cardiomiopathy or a shiny head?

10 May 2008 at 17:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home