My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, May 02, 2008

The Votes Are In...

And the results have shown that once more the area has fallen to the traditional political party across the County and where my town had the National and local political machinery worried because so many Independents who succeeded the last time, the voters have returned to their core beliefs.

The Independents have not lost by many but it only takes a few votes either way to make the difference.

To some extent the change to a Unitary Council with fewer Councillors needed, I still feel that this is main reason for the decision to change to the newer model.

If less candidates had run(and the same people had been put forward)there probably would've been enough votes to see a similar result to the last election only a year ago but the extra choice diluted the votes available. And many candidates were unknown.

If you were suspicious, you could suggest that some of those who stood knowing that doing so would probably help certain candidates succeed. But this is only speculation and there is no proof to suggest it is fact. It has also resulted in some long established and hard working councillors losing their seats. Then again neighbouring wards where fewer candidates stood, they have given a spread of other political parties of different persuasions and another time it would not take much to tip things in another direction. The ruling party managed a majority of 8 seats. That is quite a close result.

I do believe that the overall make up of the council though it has a majority is as varied as it has been over the years which may show that traditional voters are disillusioned and old loyalties are no longer felt by younger or newer inhabitants that are moving into the area.

I may be talking of tradition and the colour of the party in power but I assure you I am looking at things with an unbiased eye as I honestly found it so difficult to make a decision where to put my "X" on the ballot paper and would choose what I think to be the right choice for the area I live. And my opinion could be totally different when voting nationally. But I do believe in using my vote.

Results

Breakdown

The Story Locally

The Story As Reported Nationally

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home