My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

A Free Gift...

Posted by Picasa
So I was in the local supermarket last week, I had to go out(I did not want to)but I thought if I do all the shopping in one go I can avoid making the trip for maybe a week or more. In doing so there was an announcement over the store's intercom.

Make your way to a certain area and for free(no purchase necessary)every shopper in the store could have a free gift. If over a certain age(as it was something with a blade)
Turns out it was said to be worth £3.99.

Well, a group of us turned up and you know what was going to happen don't you?
We had to stand through a demonstration where a salesman tried to sell other products before handing out the free gift as promised. I don't anyone really wanted to attend the demonstration but we did.

What was he selling? A kitchen knife. How much was he selling it for? Approx £20!
But with that knife to try and tempt you further, he threw another identical knife in with that one. Two pairing knives, a fish filleting knife and a little plastic gadget you push into something like an orange and when you squeeze the fruit the juice pours out.

He gave individual prices on each item and by the time he was finished he was claiming that everything had a value of around £50. But you were getting everything for £20.

He explained that the knife had a lifetime guarantee and was surgical steel. That you can cut wood with it and he also had a hammer that he attacked with the knife.

I started to wonder why if the knife had a lifetime guarantee and could do all of this without it being damaged why you needed more than one of each knife in a set?

Also, I was tempted to purchase one pairing knife as he'd priced it at £3.99(or was it £4.99)and I thought that was a bargain. But after the demonstration I discovered that he no individual item for sale, they could only be purchased as part of the set.

He managed to get rid of approx 5 sets but that was all. It was a good knife but I bought something similar years ago so I did not need another(and mine was approx £15 cheaper)and to be honest though it works well on meat, vegetables and fruit, it's not very good at cutting bread.
But we all went away with the free gift you can see.

I was the last to get my gift and when everyone had disappeared and he no longer had to run through his promotional spiel, you could tell he couldn't clear everything away fast enough and couldn't really be bothered...until his next show which I heard being announced approx 30 minutes later.

Whether the free gift will get used or has much use I'm not sure...I can see it working with a carrot or cucumber but I'm not sure of anything else I can use it for but was free so...
I tried it earlier today and maybe it's me but I found it a waste of time. I'll see if I change my mind at some time(I could be doing something wrong)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home