My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Has Recycling Really Meant A Reduction...

In what I throw away or have I always been reasonably good at throwing very little away?

I'm wondering as I look at my household waste for the last 14 days and what do I see?

A new recycle sack that looks full but in reality I probably could get another fortnight's worth of rubbish into it but it is full.(I'd guess it's the equivalent of approx have a refuse sack that would've been thrown in the wheelie bin and sent to a land fill site)

I 'd say there are approx 12 cans and 4 glass jars/bottles in the recycle crate(again that's a fortnight's worth)

And in the wheelie bin I'd say there is approx a third of a refuse sack which is what has been generated for the same period of two weeks. And that is rubbish that would be dirty or perhaps food based. So it's not worth putting the Wheelie bin out weekly(even though it's collected weekly)

We probably could put it out a lot less.

Then we the following story splashed across the newspapers and TV and radio in the last few days, if it happened exactly as reported it's created quite a stir and does seem "Over The Top"

I understand that locally, there are some restrictions but I would hope it's tempered with common sense and I have yet to hear of anyone being fined or taken to court in a similar manner but I suppose there could well be some examples. I do know after a delay in collection of rubbish around holiday times such as Christmas which means some extra rubbish accumulates and because of extra packaging associated with gifts given at Christmas I have seen extra bags being allowed alongside normal collection and sometimes the fact the wheelie bin lid cannot always be closed flush to the bin.

And of course the new scheme has changed the rules to allow for extra rubbish to be taken away(as long as it's not food based)so there is little worry of health concerns from pests etc...if the story is exactly as reported, the situation does seem to have been handled un-necessarily heavily.

Father of four taken to court and fined ... because he overfilled his wheelie-bin by just four inches

Latest news as heard on the radio suggests that members of the public have come forward and paid the fine on his behalf.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home