My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, October 08, 2015

A Free Night(Sort Of)Ended Up Costing Me Money...

I started off eating corned beef and tomato sandwiches...cheap and cheerful and I'd forgotten how nice corned beef can be.

I shaved, dressed and hit the ground running. It had rained heavily for hours and I expected to get wet and though I took my brolly...it stopped. And then stayed fine for the rest of the night.

I popped into the supermarket for my fortnightly computer magazine and within minutes my bus arrived at the bus stop close by.

I was in good time for the theatre and decided rather than get the next bus to the theatre I could walk it. I did.

So the show commenced at 7.30pm and we were told that one of the 60's bands had not arrived at the theatre but the show began. We had the Troggs(without the lead singer most of us remember from the band's heyday)Reg Presley(he passed away)some years ago. I suspect we only had one original band member in the group. We then followed up with Badfinger who played all of the hits we know their's and an underrated band at that. I actually preferred their set and performance more than the Troggs.

Two of Badfinger are no longer with us but they wrote one of the most famous songs you'll have heard and covered by many "Without You" they did not get the recognition or money they deserved and sadly both committed suicide. Badfinger were signed up to the Apple record label(run by the Beatles)and you are bound to know other songs they've recorded.

We had a twenty minute interval and then we were entertained by the band that was late. The Ivy League held up on the A1 once known as the Great North Road. Due to bad weather and they said people were getting out of their cars which were in a traffic jam. A trio I only know for a few songs in the 60's(which were all close harmony)and I don't remember when they appeared on TV them playing instruments. But they played drums and guitars tonight and also worked comedy into the act. They had adapted to a theatre audience. And they received a very warm reception. I liked them too.
To be honest most of the acts have adapted to a theatre atmosphere.

We then had a band that had taken their name from the backing group of Gerry and the Pacemakers but again I'm unsure how many were original band members and on their own I was not so keen. They stayed around to play the backing music and accompanying vocals for the final band(well trio)of the band The Tremeloes.

That was a little confusing because we had the original lead singer Brian Poole but some point in the 60's he left and so the other two continued to write, sing and front the band without him. Tonight they were all as one. One member announced tonight that within a few years he'll have been with the Tremeloes for sixty years. So work out his age from that. Another member of the band was due to play a few years ago but had to miss the concert due to ill health.

They went into the foyer to sign autographs whether you purchased anything or not. I cheated and went around the theatre and came in via a different way and avoided the bottle neck of people still coming out of the auditorium. I had a quick look and then decided I was up to legging it back to the bus stop in town but no way was I going to get the 22.45 bus home. Wrong! If I had left the theatre and not gone into the foyer I would have caught it. I missed it by 30 seconds. But I thought I'll catch the last bus at 22.15.

What I did not realise was that my bus pass stops working at 23.00 and I do appreciate having one and know I am fortunate to have it(but I don't take advantage of it)I don't understand why they decide to make you pay for the last bus or ask for a reduced fare. Or let the pass run until Midnight. So for the sake of 15mins I had to pay full fare home.

During weekdays on mornings you pay a small contribution to your bus fare if you travel before 9.30am so even that idea would be acceptable at the end of the day. After all the buses are not busy late and night, not as frequent. So that delay through going to see the groups after the concert cost me money. Still cheaper than a taxi.

They are not great images but as a memory I have the following three. All in all a great night just the same.




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fun! I used to go to Mersey Beat and 60s concerts back in the 80s, so met a lot of these guys when they were doing the circuit at a considerably younger age than they are now. :)

Re Gerry and the Pacemakers - I'm not sure which original member would be in that group if Gerry wasn't fronting it, as his brother Freddie who played the drums sadly passed away a few years back, and the last I heard Les Chadwick the bassist lived in Australia, so maybe it was the other Les who played the piano.

A-L

8 October 2015 at 08:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I do wonder why I stopped going to concerts/theatre in the late 80's and until approx three years ago. Back then I would've had access to a car. Mum and myself(and long before then)my Dad too used to be regulars at the local theatre.

I am going to assume that due to illness, voluntary work for hospital radio my time was spoken for. Then Mum kind've got into going out with someone for many years. But in hindsight I keep thinking there was nothing to stop me.

I don't remember looking to see who was appearing so heaven knows who I missed.

And then of course in the latter years even though I was ill I was caring for her. Circumstances...

The so called Pacemakers looked considerably young. To be called that name I assume they need permission. They could be the backing band of Gerry and do this when he's not touring with them.

I have seen Gerry(twice)I think, topping a show of 60's bands and where it was only him and a backing group for the night.

Considering how old and how few are still singing or are alive I am quite pleased to have seen a fair few these past few years.

Tonight and tomorrow its been Ken Dodd but I have seen him a few times and my last time I think it was around 1.30am when we got out and I had to catch a taxi home.

It was pouring with rain...there were none in the town where the theatre was and I was on my own in a deserted town and had to wait for one to come through from where I live to get me.

8 October 2015 at 22:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home