My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

What Goes Around Comes Around...

What's happened since Friday...well, I don't think that I have nothing to fear from my visit to see my Uncle but it went better than I thought that it may. Still could be damaged financially or emotionally only time will tell in coming years. However not going into details it went better than expected and there was some closure. I'd be telling lies that I am not worried what the future holds and its all down to "blastered" money...I wish that it wasn't. I don't like that it is. Its the worry that I won't have enough to get by, that changes are coming that I cannot change and that I will have to make myself poor to hopefully receive help again. And a little windfall which it really is will mean I have lost half my income.

If I do not spend it wisely and follow all the rules and have receipts to prove it wasn't spent frivolously I will see no benefit whatsoever. And then I have to reapply for help but be practically insolvent. No safety net. If I don't I will still be in that situation but perhaps within 18mths anyhow.

I have talked to the relevant departments and spending is the best of the worst options. So I'm thinking as mobility is am issue and likely to get worse...a mobility scooter(me of all people)decorating of the house all the way through, new lounge furniture, vacuum cleaner, a bed, perhaps a stair lift, carpets, curtains(Perhaps a chair and bed could be more fancy than usual)you know the kind they advertise without a price next to the illustration but are good for you if you have medical ailments. That will see the capital reduce. I'd have liked it there for emergencies, my retirement but its too little to last me for years especially as it will otherwise go on utility bills, rent, council tax and food.

This way I see some benefit.

When done visitors will say "He's doing alright!" But its all cosmetic and none of us know what the future holds for any of us.

I got home on Friday and was quite worn out by the afternoon with my Uncle. I went to bed. I discovered the following day I should've not have been in bed but at the theatre in Durham watching a show I had booked months ago so I missed it.

Saturday, I couldn't get peace so took myself off to Newcastle just because I could(and had a bus pass)There really wasn't that much to do and I did not want to spend money, walk around shops looking at what I do not need, I popped into my first Waitrose and though just my opinion I found everything overpriced and not very exciting. I popped into M&S the following day in Durham and found the same to be true of their food(I haven't been in their food hall in years)The quality is there but I'll only spend it there(again)if certain items are reduced on offer or because the sell by date is looming.

I spent around 3-4 hours in Newcastle city centre and came home, not sure how I filled the time. I did spend a little, came home with some beef mince, bread, strawberries and kale. I came home around 8.30pm and had to wait to connect with a bus at Durham and hang around for almost an hour and though not a busy time that bus arrived twenty minutes late for some reason. People were starting to worry it was not going to show. So I got home around 10.30pm.

Sunday I got it into my head to go and see a Palm Sunday service at Durham Cathedral and missed my bus by 30 seconds and with Sunday service I was going to give up and come home. Then I thought I'd be clever and take a bus to a place called Sedgefield and if lucky connect to another bus to Durham. I did. However, two arrived within minutes of each other and they both arrived after a thirty minute wait. Had they been a little earlier I would've made the service at the cathedral but by the time I arrived in Durham and slowly reached the cathedral the service had been going for over 30 minutes. I probably could've gone into it late but decided not to.

I was quite tired so slowly made my way back to the bus station and found a reduced chicken for five reduced in price(that will do a few meals/snacks and sandwiches)and in M&S I found some casserole beef reduced and if all is handled carefully that should give me approx 7-12 meals for around £1 per day. So perhaps not bad value.

When in Newcastle I came home with some thick Chinese noodles from the Chinese Supermarket, I have been putting them in with my homemade soup to help bulk it up and you do get a lot for 99p.

Sunday evening whilst I can afford to(I hope that I always will)I went with my friends to the bingo and turn night)and I'll never be in pocket but I did win on a Domino card...£20 and that paid for my night and the chicken and beef. I was still out of pocket on the mince, bread, strawberries and kale.

However on Monday at the afternoon bingo with the elderly I spent £6.10(bingo/raffle and taxi home)but won £4 so I was only £2.10 out of pocket. And that £4 was a bit like getting some money back on the food I purchased on Saturday. In the end I broke even I guess.

After bingo on Monday I caught a bus back to Durham and as I traveled there the weather turned horrible with lots of torrential rain, I took a short cut to the cathedral(never again)it wasn't much of a short cut and lots of steps but I had gone so far it wasn't worth turning back. I was "Knackered" by the time I reached the Cathedral. Why did I go?

There was an evening service of contemplation and prayer that has been offered since the days of monastic life. The Compline addresses will be given by the Rt Revd Martin Wharton, former Bishop of Newcastle. Perhaps 40 of us attended and we sat in the choir stalls. It was very interesting and very stripped back without any pomp. An address, prayers and hymns unaccompanied.

I struggled going back to the bus station and it took me at least an hour to get there and I haven't seen the city so deserted. Any resturant or pub was lucky if they had a handful of customers, many did not, newsagents and supermarkets practically empty and the rain just kept on coming. Durham makes its money during the Summer with tourists and light evenings, weekends with the people who go clubbing. I won't be spending money in the pubs/clubs and restaurants, most charge far too much. I can make three or four meals for perhaps a fiver but last night a one course meal was £10.

I did well to reach home and where I went straight to bed and slept. My back had started to really ache and was screaming...reminded me of how I felt when I first went down with kidney problems almost twenty years ago. At least I am managing to sleep. I was going to go out today but there isn't any point. Have done some more tidying, eaten some home made soup and will have some more later. More like a stew to be honest, lots of vegetables and added chicken* and noodles.

I am out tonight,  Nothing is free but you really could not have a cheaper night. Usually just a drink, a raffle and nothing more. Tonight a cover charge of £2 and a specific act booked.

*Cheap chicken thighs(six for £3)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right, you REALLY need to buy a mobility scooter (I;m saying it nicely. :) It will decrease your pain and exhaustion and enable you to do so much more!

So,,,,draw a line under all that's happened with your uncle and stop going round in circles of worry about what the future holds, because a) things may change and b) you cannot do anything about it.

Instead, plan for your future! :) Use the money wisely so you can enjoy the HERE AND NOW! Invest in a good quality mobility scooter and a new bed and chair etc - whatever is going to last you and see you through your elderly years. Things that you can take with you if ever you move. Things that will help you stay independant and living in your own home. :)

I'm glad you're okay, I was getting worried that you hadn't written anything since Friday.

A-L

31 March 2015 at 16:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Isn't it funny, I'm sitting here and feel quite upbeat. Nothing particularly going through my mind. I'm feeling physically up to my little walk tonight(having rested)to the bus stop a couple of streets away, then from the bus stop to the venue.

I have had two bowls(that's one small slow cooker's worth)of soup/stew. How did I eat all that? Just have to get shaved. Washed some clothes in the W Machine. Rubbish in the wheelie bin.

Weather has been terrible all day, wet and windy(I can see that one wooden fence panel should be replaced)something to think about? We had a very quick snow flurry but that has passed by. Now we have blue skies and sunshine.

31 March 2015 at 16:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Are you saying that there was no will and your uncle is making a claim against the estate? because if there had been a will your Mum's estate would have probably been settled completely around 12 weeks after her death.
I understand about your Mum's clothes,I use to think people were a bit batty keeping stuff like clothes after a death of a loved one-but then it happened to me-and I just wanted to keep something to say she had been here and lived a life.These days I think we are all looking for just a little something that is solid and permanent in our lives,we had religion at one time but now are lives move so quickly and we keep leaving it all behind in the distance on our runaway train of life.
cheers
Bill

1 April 2015 at 08:47  
Anonymous Virgin Queen said...

Hi Gildy, Long time no speak but, as promised, I have been keeping a beady eye on you!
Yes. DO get yourself a mobility scooter. I have had mine for nearly two and a half years now. It has been a real Godsend. I can't recommend them enough. You don't need a new one. Mine was secondhand from Ebay. Find sellers who are near to you and can deliver. A word of warning.... it gets very chilly on a scooter but that's okay if you wrap up really well. Thermal underwear, a really warm scarf and some gloves are essential. Always keep a brolly on board just in case of sudden downpours.
You will need somewhere to keep it. If you don't have a shed or garage, you can keep it indoors, as I do, but you may need a ramp to get it indoors. My scooter is 23" wide and easily goes through my door.
They are so easy to use. If you can sit in an armchair and hold on to something, then you can drive a scooter. Mine has a basket front and rear.... so useful.
You need to charge the batteries every time you use the scooter and they take hardly any electricity at all. I have noticed no difference in my bills.
Why be in pain when you don't need to? Put a scooter at the top of your list!

1 April 2015 at 16:20  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Bill, I am happier than I was and once I can tie up the loose ends, things I believe will be OK. Bank is dragging its heels the most. Its my fault in that I let things go until I felt able to deal with it all. I won't be rich or have a big safety net in the bank and unless I spend it on items that I hope will make my life comfortable in the future, I'll see no benefit from it whatsoever.

So yes a scooter, curtains, carpets, bed/s, lounge furniture perhaps a recliner and who knows a stair lift. Maybe a vacuum and if allowed my laptop has packed up. That keeps me in touch with the outside world. A tablet may be worth considering. And all has to be purchased quickly otherwise I won't be able to buy as much as I will have to dip into it for rent, CT, utility bills, food and prescriptions.

In reality its almost as if Mum never existed. I never realised how little there is that is tangible. The clothes have gone and they were probably the last of what I had that connected me to her. I don't have that many photos to be honest. Then again they'll not interest anyone when I leave this world and relatives are few too. And quite old themselves. I used to look at her name in the telephone book or the odd old utility bill. I appreciate the input.

1 April 2015 at 20:34  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I am so happy to hear from you VQ, that you are out there...somewhere and watching me. I will get my positive outlook back again just having a bit of a blip. Uncertainty creeping in.

I'll never be rich but if I can keep the internet, heat the home, eat reasonably well, access the TV and hopefully have an occasional treat I'm doing better than many.

I'll know better when I get my personal finance sorted and dare I say after May 7th. Thank you for your information regarding the scooter.

I had to get out today and I'm afraid it was all food shops and I did spend some more. It felt like filling in time for the sake of it.

Going to try and make an effort and do something for Easter as a meal. I don't have any Lamb in the house but I do have beef mince, casserole beef, chicken, sliced turkey.

Some ready meals and I managed to buy chunky fish, prawns. And the following fresh veg all at 49p each...cauliflower, broccoli, parsnips, potatoes, carrots. I have some prepared vegetables again for some HM soup stews and a quiche so that should last a fair amount of time.

Take Care Ant X

1 April 2015 at 20:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you get your scooter you'll be able to go where you want, and no more needing to go to the supermarket just to fill in time...

A-L

1 April 2015 at 22:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi A-L, It was a good day for all that. Mobility was easier. We really only have shops around here and in neighbouring towns and I'll do more when as Summer gets closer.

Probably have a couple of weekends away, a holiday. As it gets warmer and I eat less I'll redirect money away for such things. And the same is true of perhaps some social events/theatre shows even if they are further away and perhaps I have to use a taxi.

Food and the internet are my luxuries which I hope I can always enjoy. I'm seriously thinking of getting a tablet(Tesco's own)for ease, performance and cost. Ideal for sending out tweets, reading across the web, posting on here. I can use it outdoors if there is free Wi-Fi available and in my home.

I did well with my shopping, I found what I wanted in Morrisons and Tesco's but did buy anything in Iceland, Poundland, the only place I did not get to was Sainsbury's.

Someone stopped me when I was trying to get a bus to a location and after chatting it wasn't worth going there, that's how I ended up at another place.

A couple of supermarkets keep trying to go on about their prices being as good/comparable to the discount stores but I don't find that they are.

I would have liked to have gone to Durham Cathedral tonight for the Stripping of the alter service but I am at the local bingo group but with buses running over the weekend I may attend some of the events between Good Friday and Easter Monday.

I have seen some knee supports that I may invest in coming weeks that look promising and I may consider. I'll do a little more research. If they help it will be money worth spending.

2 April 2015 at 04:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home