My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, May 16, 2014

If You Do Not Tire...

of sometimes having the same meal for a few days(or organised and able to store a variety of meals in a freezer)a slow cooker is great. I had a bowl of my stew when I came in tonight, it was tasty and warming and three hours later I still had such a feeling inside. But I have emptied the remaining contents and filled containers which has given me another four meals.

I only need to heat them which will take a short time(as it is already cooked)I still have three options at my disposal for that. Quickly in a saucepan on a hob, microwave or even back in the slow cooker as as they are smaller portions that will take very little time.

I understand that even if stored in a fridge they should be safe for three or four days but if heated so they are piping hot that is what matters when serving up.

That's five meals including the one I have eaten and I still have potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, garlic, carrots, leeks, onions, turnip which I have not even used. So how cheap is that? I am getting better at organising my food preparation, storing it and coming up with a variety of meals and using up as much of what I buy as possible to keep costs down.

Being single(and even if I was not)you do not need massive meals. Sometimes fewer meals spread over the day works better. Especially, if you are not having to fit the meals into a set daily routine perhaps because of work shifts etc...

But sometimes when you get a bargain of reduced food  in a supermarket you cannot beat such savings...today sweet and sour chicken worth nearly £4 for...39p! One fairly basic, the other has rice too. Also a decent container that can be reused. It can be heated in a saucepan or the microwave. And even if that means paying for the energy to do so, you saved the initial cost on the food in the first place. And if supplemented with salads, sandwiches, buffet type food, costs come down.

From Monday(change of topic)the final bus from a town I visit(sometimes for theatre shows)and in the Summer I perhaps would like to stay out longer but find the last bus does not bring me back to my town or connect to another one to complete the journey its awkward/restrictive. Now, it is to continue to my town and not stop 5 miles from here. I cannot use it much more than I do but I hope the change stays and others make use of the improvement in the service. I am almost tempted to use it even when I do not need to, just so it is not taken away again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home