My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, December 06, 2013

With The Autumn Statement...

on the UK's government's intentions for the population in years to come and the loss later in the day of a world leader held in high regard, the immediate problems of one of the worst periods of weather and its consequences for people affected have been relegated in their importance.

Many areas have found themselves flooded(and its not over yet)caused by one of the worst tidal surges in 30 years, possibly for over 50 years along the east coast. This is without other problems caused by snow blizzards, high winds. Many areas lost power and even now the authorities that deal with natural disasters have 60 serious incidents on going and many people had to be evacuated from their homes.

All I can say locally that looking on Twitter I found some areas nearish(is that a word to me)saw some property damage, a few trees felled but even in my area of the UK certain areas found themselves flooded and that included the quayside in Newcastle Upon Tyne. The harbour area of Whitby(perhaps fortunate that a lot of Whitby is on higher ground(but a lot of the town's retail area is not)Saltburn affected again(I don't want this kind of thing to happen)but if it does it would be an experience to witness nature at its most powerful and take some images myself.

I cannot hear anything this morning and all seems calm. So far I can see no sign of the snow we were promised. I do hope it stays away for a little while longer. I can however confirm it was bitterly cold yesterday and even I found myself asking late in the day "Why am I out in this weather?" when you don't need to be. And that was when it was much improved but as said in the previous post I did buy a new hat and scarf which was needed later when I made my way to the Bingo club.

I have slept well overnight(inbetween those times)when you are woken with a painful joint when you have to move to get comfortable. And at present my shoulders are giving me more trouble lately and my hands have been stiff. But you carry on as much as you are able.

Not much planned for today...mainly the daily tasks many households have to deal with. I will take them slowly...a light breakfast, put some rubbish out for collection, travel to a concert being held at lunchtime(someone playing piano)and music of a Christmas theme.

Then I may look again to see if there are any reasonable sets of plates again* Then I hope to take it easy and rest so I am able to do more tomorrow in Durham as they celebrate Christmas with various music events in the Market Place and on Palace Green in front of Durham Cathedral. There is also a craft event and local food producers offering something special too.

The recent weather must have caused headaches getting everything erected. I know a big market event in Darlington was called off but they hope to hold it next week.

And when I come home I have some of my sausage casserole to look forward and warm me up.

*I quite like the idea of nice plates to present food on even if alone but can I justify paying silly money? I have discovered(will I be lucky enough to find these today)a set of four bowls, side plates and dinner plates in stoneware in red and white glaze for...£3. Can you believe that?

Ok there are no specific soup bowls but why cannot I not just use an ordinary bowl? Do I need to worry that a sugar bowl or mug/cup will not match? At that price should I break something it won't matter too much and I will have spare items to replace anything that is damaged, ideal for every day use. I have never bothered with a sugar bowl and now use sweeteners more anyhow.

And though I won't ever rule it out, I don't see a time when I'll have company staying and sharing a meal with me so they'll be ok for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home