My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, December 08, 2013

Durham City Part Three...


In Durham market place amongst the many stalls was the following...wonder why I have never thought of doing this at home before...they all cost £3 but I resisted.

Don't know why but I have never thought of Hot Chocolate with Brandy or Bailey's on sale in Durham Market place.

Around the city were a variety of small groups of musicians(probably students from the University)playing trumpets, trombones etc...I assume to raise extra money towards their courses and playing Christmas music.

On Framwelgate Bridge there was even a fairground organ playing music.

I had chance to ride on one of the new buses on the route between Darlington and Durham...very nice, more room, bus stops announced and watchable on a monitor. It has access to Wi-Fi and power points to charge phones, tablets and laptops up for free.

However, on the trip back I had a long chat with the driver and on the journey before mine, a teenager or minor had been caught drawing on the back of one of the seats and could give no reason why, just kept saying sorry. Well, the driver says they will follow it up, they will trace him via the schools in the area and they have CCTV footage.

New buses in the area with announcements of bus stops, Wi-Fi, charge points for phones, tablets and laptops...

They've only been running for two or three days...

I came back to the supermarket when I got back on my town...I know that some bread I like was going to be reduced but just could not wait around for ages...but I did find some salads reduced from £2.50 to 26p, various fruit pots worth around £2+ reduced to 15p-30p and packs of four Panini Rolls all worth £1 per pack being sold at 10p each. Spent around £1.20 in total but saved over £8. So not a bad shop.

All the salad is prepared just to be eaten either from the container or put on a plate or into a bowl. If I wish I can add a couple of items from home like celery, egg, some of the pork pie in the fridge etc...perhaps a portion of chips. The fruit can go into a bowl for a fresh fruit salad later or with yogurt, porridge or cereal, so many options...but virtually no cooking.

Finally I went back to my original choice of plates that I nearly purchased in the last day or two...

I found a box containing soup bowls, side and dinner plates(12 piece set)Buying them in a box was cheaper than buying them individually. And unlike other sets they had those shallow soup bowls you see in hotels etc...But the box was reduced in price by £5.

The money saved meant I was able to it towards cereal bowls and mugs. And again there was another reduction so these extra items cost me less.

So I now have matching mugs, soup and cereal bowls, side and dinner plates which allows for me being able to serve meals on matching plates if anyone ever does share a meal in my home and/or I have enough spare items in case I break something. I could have gone cheaper plain white but I want something nice to eat my meals off. Presentation makes all the difference.

Some sets are even more expensive than mine so I feel fine about it. Hopefully they will last me years. I was lucky that I can afford them but that's through being careful with money and not wasting it. And there is no way I can guarantee that would be possible in the future.

And saving money on the food in the supermarket meant I diverted that towards buying my crockery too.

I will post images of them and see what you think, I like them and hope that you do too. I was going to go for two tone colours or white with a kind of coloured hoop/stripe of say an inch around the outer edge but my set is called "Circus" and has a design of small coloured spots in pastal shades dotted everywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home