My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, December 08, 2013

Durham City Continued...

I made my way up to Durham Cathedral's Green where I expected to see the parade of children carrying what look like lanterns with candles in and was told carols would be played by the Sally
Army but I had a quick look in the Cathedral's cloisters where some lovely regional food produce was on sale but to be honest there was nothing I needed but they seemed to be doing very well and selling all that they had. They needed to as this was the last of their two days in town and in the Cathedral.

On the way in to the Cathedral, I took the following image looking over a wall...

It looked more twinkly to the naked eye.

An image of Durham from the Cathedral as dusk fell, I hope it works...

So when I came out of the cloisters with the market, I found the children wandering into the main area and masses of people, they were getting ready for a small carol service so I thought so will I. I was sent to an area with others as seats were getting filled but later if I'd stayed where I was going I could have been in the first pew with a first class view. I ended up on the side looking at a pillar. So saw...nothing but hey its my first ever service in Durham Cathedral and only my second visit there in almost 30 years. I was led to believe you cannot take photo's so took a couple in a subversive way.

Later on I realise I could've done so or no one was stopping images being taken. They did a little play between the carols telling the story of St. Nicholas and the following was the best I managed to take(not great)Pity he did not turn around so everyone got a view.

Not the greatest image but someone played St. Nicholas in a carol service today in Durham Cathedral.

Later on I lit a candle and wrote a note asking for a prayer to be said for Mum and Dad. I did see some others that were in the basket written by others...most appeared to ask for health and happiness.

In the other church where we had tea they were handing out little angels to be placed on trees later on.

I made my way back to the town centre and the bus station for home. I have some images of the Cathedral to check out for posting but as there was a big marquee full of people selling various crafts,gifts and clothes I could not get the whole of the cathedral in the view because I needed to step back so it may be better to try another time. I knew that there would be very little in the marquee that I could justify buying but because I have no one close to me, it seemed crazy paying a £3.50 admission fee. I saw some couples enter, not realising there was a fee, suddenly they were parting with £7.

I managed to get 10-15 minutes in the marquee as the place was closing and there were enough retailers still selling to last minute shoppers(and I sneaked in for free, others were)It was all lovely and I expect anyone would be very happy to receive any of these items for Christmas or whenever they are given. Spoilt for choice.

Looks like I need to take this to a third post...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home