My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

All I Ate On Monday Part One...

was either cheap or reduced at the last minute. Apart from the items that are marked *

I have also given an alternative currency so prices can be compared and decided the US dollar was probably the one to go with...

I have to say this may not be exciting food but I did eat well even if it is mainly reduced fare. And it is two meals worth.

But how many can keep popping into the supermarkets for the few items reduced to "silly" prices and time their visit to coincide with such reductions? The more that do, the fewer of these bargains there are to go around.

I reckon my whole budget for food came in at around £2.50 unusual and I see as a failure as I usually eat and spend for less.

3 Sausages 54p(82c)
Mushrooms, vegetables and sweet and sour sauce 80p($1.22)
5 Bread rolls 3p(5c)
1 slice of cheese 8p(12c)
Tomato 16p(24c)
Watercress, spinach and rocket 20p(31c)
Spring Onions 16p(24c)
A danish pastry 15p(23c)
Coffee and milk 40p(61c)

Other days I try to counteract such expense. If I have had such items in store and they have been allowed to build up it allows for days where I eat reasonably well. But without the reductions I would have spent approx another £2($3.05)

My average spend is more nearer the £1($1.53)mark give or take 20p(46c)There's no way I could pay approx £20($30.52)a week to feed a single person like myself with the changes coming and as prices continue to rise it may become difficult not to.

You can see why many who depend on state help are scared of where we are going...

I found a website run by Jamie Oliver the cook/chef and he says that a school meal costs on food averages "52p per school dinner in primary school and 68p in secondary school" per student and I believe the average amount charged of parents is £2-£3($3.05-£4.58)so most is going on labour and to pay the contractor. I did hear the other day the average cost of feeding a patient in hospital daily is £5($7.63)but I don't know if that is for the whole day or per meal and I don't know how much is given to the contractor and to the staff who serve it.

The average weekly help that is given in the hand is approx £72($109.86)for those who are classed as working age and not ill or disabled(in the hand)I do appreciate that if you work, you too have to pay bills and budget accordingly. You know what? I suspect many who do work are probably living on similar amounts. Not everyone using food banks are on welfare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home