My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Patti Page...

Another great has left us. I can remember in recent times when Mum was unwell and enjoyed listening to the music I put on an mp3 for her that The Tennessee Waltz was mentioned and Mum would say what a sad song it was and sometimes sing it.

And here we are again...another of a time gone by has passed away. The trouble is for all the people that are in the entertainment business I feel that I have less in common or a connection with them. I can see the time when there will be fewer people that I will want to watch on tv, in a film, on the stage or listen to on the radio. In a way I will become more locked in a time warp with those that I grew up with. Until it is my turn. Sad but true.

Because you grow up with these performers you don't see them growing older nor does it hit home that you too are getting older.

No matter who I seem to think of all my favourites with very few exceptions are all aged between 60+ to 90 year old. And I'm creeping into that age group myself. I say creeping, it is coming around all too quickly.

Patti Page Have another song...Old Cape Cod(later in her career but still great)

Ironically, The 55th Grammy Awards take place in February and Patti expected to attend and accept a Lifetime Achievement Award. I assume it will be given posthumously.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found the answer to that problem is to become interested in more recent actors , singers, & stage performers & then I don't feel I'm being left behind.

3 January 2013 at 00:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the same anonymous again LOL Didn't you say once it's only a few years til you're 60 ? You must have grown up when there were some great rock groups in the charts ? The Kinks etc. The Beatles, The Stones, Manfred Mann ,surely you've got fond memories of them from your youth ?
Also try watching some of the new drama on the TV. Lots of people love Downton Abbey & there's plenty of new other stuff out there. try something different, it might give you a fresh perspective on life. I guess I'm older than you, but there's so much new music, TV programmes & films that I enjoy.

3 January 2013 at 00:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

You are right of course :o) Grew up all those groups that you mention but most of my contact with said groups was via tv and radio.

Never really managed to do the concerts scene.

Funnily enough(and I hope this pleasure is not totally closed to me)as income gets tighter.

At the end of May around my Birthday(yes, another one :o(

Hopefully I should be watching The Manfreds featuring some members of the original Manfred Mann group and fronted by Paul Jones. Though some venues also have another front man appearing Mike D'Abo but he's not appearing on the night I hope to attend :o(

Some great shows happen locally but I am restricted by the venue size, location and as the nearest is run by a council with the austere times we find ourselves it is always under threat of closure.

A great venue is the Sage Gateshead but the bus service is bad,too expensive and naturally taxis are even worse.

The Arc in Stockton is another affected in a similar way. Nearer but difficult to attend.

I am restricted to Darlington and Durham City but even they can be difficult as some events are not located centrally and the last bus home is too early and often it does not complete the route. So you are effectively stranded.

Ray Davies of The Kinks played the Sage not that long ago. A favourite venue for me now is the one in Durham because it is pretty intimate. And you get up close to the performer.

This is something else I like about the shows at the Town Hall in Bishop Auckland, the disadvantage is that they insist on starting their shows at 8pm and so with an interval they can overun so you are watching the time and have to decide if you may have to leave before the end to catch the last bus.

If they'd start at 7.30pm-7.45pm it would make such a difference.

Local people and businesses could benefit if they would delay the last bus.

Mum was really on the ball and really knew modern culture, always young at heart even if like me I prefer those that have been part of my life. I will have to try and be the same.



3 January 2013 at 02:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would certainly help you maintain a younger outlook on life if you tried to keep up with some aspects of modern culture.

I'm planning to go to a Status Quo concert this year :) ( bring your own earplugs! )

3 January 2013 at 10:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try listening to more classical music or watching same on Youtube. Classical music is timeless. All the rest is gaslight, by comparison with a few exceptions of course.

Nick

3 January 2013 at 10:02  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Wow Anon...
They were doing a great concert...at the Sage for Christmas that would have been great...I've got earplugs by the way :o) They really work!

Enjoy.

Nick a lot of classical music really takes me to places of great depth even though some is too heavy for me...

I have a ticket for a Viennese concert on Monday performed by The London Gala Orchestra.

A selection of waltzes, polkas and romantic songs, all performed by some of the country's leading musicians and star soloists, plus pyrotechnics, a champagne lottery and Auld Lang Syne.

Spread across the year the tickets are not that bad but adding the bus fares is often the problem. But still much cheaper than depending on a taxi. £8 is better than nearly £30. But I am tired if I use the buses.

I'll have a look around You Tube as you suggest :o)

3 January 2013 at 10:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home