My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

I Couldn't Really Get Into The New Year Celebrations...

To be honest we haven't for many years and looking around here no one was bothered. All the houses were in darkness and the streets quiet. Apart from me the only other light I could see was a TV flickering in a bedroom where a neighbour was on his PC.
 
 
I have mixed feelings during these austere times and I see so much money being wasted. Then again, if you don't have some treats how depressing is life going to be. As I write this I don't feel down as such* 
 
All day across the world various countries have seen the New Year in with a variety firework displays but when you hear that Australia spent $4Million on their display, that's a lot of money.
 

When we eventually got around to our own display it lasted around 12 minutes but I have no idea what our display cost. Numbers seemed to be down this year. The estimate was originally that 250,000 would attend but the BBC estimated it to be nearer 100,000.

The Mayor of London(and no doubt it pleases the Government)still found a way to go on about the Olympics which has really been milked as a promotional tool to try and make the world think that all is well. And what hurts is not so much that times are tough but how they try and fool the population.



Anyhow even I have to say the display was pretty spectacular(even though I gave up)but thanks to the Metropolitan Police Helicopter, they tweeted the above images which I thought deserved being shared. Its even more impressive if you click on the images with your cursor...

*As you'll see in the comments that follow I did have a bit of wobble in the early hours.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...



The internal revenue has just took another 25 dollars a week in tax out of my wages, I am suppose to magic a replacement of that out of thin air to go along with the other things I have to magic out the air such as increases in medicare insurance.
Your country seems to be trying to make the best out of a bad time so why do you just knock and moan about it all the time?

Baxter

1 January 2013 at 14:12  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Baxter,
Probably Human nature but many are willing to absorb the extra costs but it gets to a point where you have cut back as far as is possible.

And what has happened is that many are paying so much for the essentials they are having to decide whether to eat or heat.








1 January 2013 at 15:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home