My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, June 29, 2012

Woke Up To A Blue Sky...

and white fluffy clouds but after a bit of a lie in...we're back to a dull, cold and wet day and a sky full of rain clouds. I  know it's the variety of weather that makes the UK the country it is but we seem to have had such a lot of rain this year, no wonder most of us are fed up!

I'll have to make a drink soon and think about eating something(first of the day)

Today, I have to cook the chicken so I guess for the next few days most meals will have chicken as part of the ingredients so that will be chicken sandwiches, salads and probably something like chicken, vegetables and potatoes. I may just do it in the oven to save time. It's not a very big one so should not take too long to cook.

Must find the instructions or look into using the slow cooker, I have been told that they use about the same amount of power as a light bulb...

As I have approx 1 week before I start a new month with my internet provider and I haven't used much of my monthly allowance, I watched some tv via the internet in the early hours, my first tv in ages. I managed to concentrate and take an interest.

I watched an edition of IQ with Stephen Fry(that seemed a bit strange)knowing that Mum used to see some of them and now she can't and yet they are still going on...I watched the political programme "This Week", I tried "You Cannot Be Serious" with Alistair McGowan but found that poor and don't think I'd watch it again. And "Mrs Browns Boys" in many ways I dislike this but sometimes it can be fun when things go wrong and the actors step out of their characters to some extent this style of comedy though crude it has simularities to farce and characters like "Old Mother Riley" or Norman Evans' character where he played a female talking over the garden fence with another neighbour or Cissy and Ada as played on tv by Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough. Or I suppose another great comic pair were Hinge and Bracket.

There is a difference with men playing women as above as a comic character, a caricature and  "Drag" where you are actually trying to pass yourself off as a real woman even if to some extent in a crude way. Some "Drag" artists really did manage to look like women or at least try to not to be so grotesque. So I guess the most famous and respected of these in the UK was Danny Le Rue who spent a lot of money on his shows and the costumes he wore and yet he never let you forget that he was a "Bloke" at the end of the show.

Danny Le Rue in Character 


Arthur Lucan as "Old Mother Riley"


Norman Evans "Over The Garden Wall"

Cissie And Ada Played by Les Dawson And Roy Barraclough

Hinge And Bracket Played By Patrick Fyffe And George Logan

5 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

My mother used to love Danny La Rue's television shows.
As a treat I bought tickets to take her and my two sisters for an outing to see his show live, in London's West End.
Well, I've never been more disappointed.
Totally crude and full of swearing. Not at all clever or funny.
Why do some comics think it's funny to swear?
I'm not a prude and don't mind at all if it's actually funny but, just for the sake of it?
After that I never enjoyed Danny La Rue's television shows again and nor did my mother.

29 June 2012 at 17:10  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It's awful when that happens. We saw Danny but I am trying to remember if it was a complete show of him or he appeared as a turn. For our show he was not that way.

He obviously had an act for the tv on programmes like "The Good Old Days" and one for his "Live" shows.

I have a feeling that we saw him in Bournemouth in a kind of Summer season so perhaps that is why it was different?

We saw a comedian that was popular on TV in the 80's and was very funny but on stage had a different act. He did not need to be blue. He came from Cornwall and was called Jethro.

Then again, I'm sure that others enjoyed the night...

Humour is much cleverer without the swearing or if it's used sparingly.

29 June 2012 at 19:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking of TV programmes did you see the news coverage of the unvieling of that stunning memorial to Bomber Command in London ? Also there have been some very good documentaries, including one by Robin Gibb who helped raise the money for the memorial. I think it's so sad that the men of bomber command were denied a campaign medal after the war & Churchill never mentioned them in his victory speech. It's taken 70 years for their heroism to be officially recognised. I know the bombing of Dresden was controversial, but that's still no reason not to honour those men who gave their lives & the rest who took such terrible risks for our freedom. 55,000 men died & their average age was 22. They never had a life ) :

30 June 2012 at 15:45  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I agree Anon,
I'm sure that I will be touched by the ceremony and the music but I will try and catch the highlights on line whilst they are still available. I started to watch and meant to return to it(and forgot)

War is war and things look different in hindsight. Who knows how any of us would react at the time...

30 June 2012 at 17:52  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Am watching it now Anon,
I am so happy that the weather was kind. The monument is very striking. The detail...if I was there Iwould want to take it all in.

I am now witing to see the Lancaster fly over and drop the poppy petals.

1 July 2012 at 00:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home