My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Olympics, The Winter Olympics And Paralympics...

We are always being told that some extent they are meant to be accessable to the mass populations around the world and open to not exactly professional athletes...

And yet we have a kind of tennis and football tornement where most definately those taking part are professionals.

And now there is a programme on the radio suggesting when it comes around again the BBC(The UK's public service broadcaster)and though you pay a license fee annually it is still seen as being free to air by many...It's not subscription/pay per view, the suggestion is that other tv companies will bid for the rights and probably get them.

Not being a sports fan I'm not really troubled about this but unless the station that wins the rights is a main broadcaster available across all the platforms and the event is still free or priced at a low rate that can be afforded by the viewer, many will miss out.

Having said that, the Paralympics are being carried by a UK commercial tv station Channel 4 already this year. And ever since I can remember the Olympics, the Winter Olympics and the Paralympics have been carried by commercial television in the US so perhaps it's not so unsual around the rest of the world. It will be interesting to see how the public reacts to this thought when it comes around again.

I apologise(my ignorance can be excused because)I don't watch any of it but there is also a Winter Paralympics too.

I used to watch as a child...I remember watching coverage before going to school so that one would have been in 1968 and from Mexico. The rest don't stand out too much in my memory. Possibly the other two events from the Olympics would be both from Winter one's and I think I got up in the earl hours and watched Robin Cousins the ice skater win Gold at Lake Placid in the US at Lake Placid 1980.

 I think that I watched Torvill and Dean win gold in 1984 in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia but perhaps my memory is playing tricks and I only saw the replays over the years. I say that because the Winter Olympics take place in early February and that year my Father was seriously ill and nearing the end of his life.

Very little of the big sporting events are carried on public service tv or free to air commercial stations most has to be paid for and at best the rest if lucky have to depend on a programme showing highlights after the event has taken place so the result is known and the real excitement has been lost.

List Of The TV Stations Worldwide Showing The Olympics In 2012

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home