My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

There's Always Something...

My Broadband has gone wrong. All was fine until perhaps an hour ago and the phone line keeps dropping out.

Well the problem with that is that any help you need is either a phone call away or on the website of the ISP but if the internet isn't working, how do you get the help or access to a phone number to call.

I haven't touched anything or changed anything since the line went live. Luckily the line came back long for me to get a phone number.

I've been told it could be a line fault and if an engineer has to be called out I could be looking at a charge of £60 but if I do a few checks, I may not be looking at finding that money.

I have been told to try moving the router downstairs...that the router could be faulty, that the line may need checking, try switching the microfilters or replacing them.

I've contacted by repairman and he's coming to see me at 6.30pm to see if he can work out why its gone down. He says it could still be a fault at their end and this kind of thing can happen. If an engineer does come out it could take less time than this but they quote a 72 hour wait.

If I do have to part with that £60 I have lost out on some of the free Broadband I was getting so its lost some of its attraction.

Oh I've had more information sent to me regarding my switching of the electric/gas to EDF...It's probably going to be cheaper than when Mum was here(I'd give anything to be paying those large bills)if Mum was here again...

Anyhow, looking at the information they mailed me its interesting that I pay a charge for both meters(I don't know if I pay that now with British Gas and N Power)and if I have worked out the cost per whatever measurement they use for each unit even if careful I think its going to cost me just under £1,000 annually.

But interestingly, the tables suggest that we pay less for our gas in my area than London but pay slightly more for our electric. I'm not sure why the prices are different across the country.

If I pay direct debit I understand that I may save 6% at the end of the year so that would give me a reduction of £60 bringing it back down to £940. I cannot see how I can reduce this bill any more, I don't think that I am using much electric now as I write this I have one pc running, a monitor, a dab radio, a router(that's only 12volts)and the fridge/freezer. No lights on and anything else knocked off at the mains socket. And the gas heating hasn't been on for twelve hours and won't come again for another seven hours(and I am only using it for two hours a day at present)

I haven't used any cookers today so far and only boiled the kettle once. I don't see how much less I can use things...

If my income doesn't increase(and next year there is a cap on what anyone gets if they receive benefits)I do wonder how much more we can keep cutting back? We'll all end up in energy poverty at this rate.

3 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy, there seems to be some major problems about with all providers. Not sure what's happening but it is fairly widespread (been in 4 different countries and same issues)

18 May 2012 at 12:25  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I could be wrong but I think 1000 a year is waaaaay too much.

18 May 2012 at 12:26  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Span, the broadband settled down again but they have added something called interleaving which they think will improve things.

As for the utility people think that I may get it down to approx £960 annually but to do that I will hardly be using any Central Heating. I cannot see how much less electric I can use.

But of course I need the gas to get hot water...so it has to go on every so often. Of course if I don't run the water off it can stay hot for hours and hours.

And if you only run a little off you can put the gass on for perhaps 10-15 minutes just to reheat it.

People have said I should be able to get my electric down to approx £30-£35 a month(but I don't know)

20 May 2012 at 13:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home