My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

They'll Say That They are Watching Out For Mum...

But I see it as adding to Mum's stress...

The District Nurse arrived with a Dr from our GP surgery who we have never seen before...I'm sorry we did not like him...I'd love to say much more but I am afraid what I say might be misunderstood and I'd go down in your estimation...

It always seems to happen when this particular Nurse is on duty(the same one who caused the previous problems)I do wonder how much he had been primed by her instead of making his own unbiased opinion. Regardless of what he said and whether I agree with him I disliked his attitude and general demeanor.

He wanted to take Mum away and make her stay in what he called a Cottage Hospital and be assessed.

He felt that she could be given better medical care than she has at present. Really? Why has it taken them so long to come to that conclusion? I wonder if she'd ever get back home. I know of the hospital he was talking of. So does our carer and many who go in there seem to never come home.

Mum does not want to go. I don't want her to go either and I feel at this minute in time all that Mum needs is being done for her. She eats when she wants and I see that she gets the best of everything. She drinks regularly(He tried to suggest that Mum was dehydrated)

The carer earlier today had said how smooth and soft Mum's skin is and if you do that test where you pinch the skin and let go, it jumps back immediately.

She had a few Complans, fruit juices and soup already today.

They kept saying I can visit whenever I wish(where they are talking about sending her)is miles away and getting there by taxi is difficult and the expense could cost me £40-£50 a day.

She is content and as happy as anyone can be in the situation we find ourselves.

Mum's bloods are stable, her temperature perfect. There are no infections. She is relatively pain free too. She's much brighter and was having what I see as a good day until they showed up. She has continued that way ever since.

The worrying line I thought was ominous as he left here was that he said "We know what stage your Mum's disease is at" Is it worse than they are telling us?

Yesterday, I was told it can be controlled and it unlikely to spread and will stay local to the area it is located.

Again, I felt that I had to defend my care as it was being suggested there is something not quite right that I look after Mum(Why that is different to a male nurse with a female patient)A mother looking after a son, a partner looking after a wife etc...I don't know...Someone said the other day how is it different to a daughter caring for their Father?

Again, I'd just changed Mum perhaps two minutes before they arrived. He managed to spot one mark on a sheet and questioned it. You would not believe how small that mark was...I made it clear that if he had been here five minutes later that would have been taken care of but also made it clear that every sheet and blanket has been washed, all clothes are clean and washed...there is not one thing in this house that has not been washed and isn't clean. That mark was removed within 10 seconds with disinfectant(I said it was a sheet...it was actually a matress protector)

And I made it clear that she is better cared for here than when she was in hospital last week.

And basically said don't start criticising my care.

Whether Mum has weeks, months ahead Mum wants to stay where she is and I want that for her too.

If I require medical care for a problem of my own I have I have talked about putting Mum into residential care for a week or so until I can come home again and look after her. And when I mentioned that the District Nurse that is an option so why is it so important to get her into this Community Hospital?

Mum told them "I want to stay where I am and I am happy and content!" And they had to admit if Mum wants to stay here they have to follow her wishes...

Mum was quite sleepy when they called so did not say as much as she might've but she did say she wanted to be here.

And after they'd gone she said coherently that she had heard all that I said and she was proud of me and how I had stood up to them and that I was right in everything that I had said and she thought they were trying to be clever and treat me like a child.

Of course they are supposedly experts but it felt as though they know best and follow a set criteria.

I will do all I can to avoid him calling here again...I hope he doesn't just land on us without announcement, if I need a Dr I won't be asking for him.

It just seems one thing after another...

And another thing, Mum uses her bedroom as a bedsit so she can listen to music, look out of the window and watch the world go by, have meals...all she needs is upstairs...toilet, bathroom and so on.

Mum does go downstairs especially if there is a reason to if there is maybe a tv programme she wants to see. She sat in her chair downstairs in the lounge after being at hospital yesterday.

The District Nurse goes on about her being in her bed(and then other times says there's nothing wrong with that)she seems to keep changing her mind. Today after saying they want Mum to go downstairs, the same person said, well she's just sitting still in her chair.

Not sure what she expects anyone to do in your home...What do any of us do? Watch TV, read a book, use a PC, listen to a radio etc...especially if you are older and frail.

Some things that many seem to be prescribed to make them stronger I keep being told would be good for Mum and local pharmacists say we should be able to get them through our Dr but my requests seem to be ignored...I'd like Mum's calorie intake increased and there are nutritional drinks and powders that can be sprinkled on food but no one seems ready to let me have them so I may have to buy them privately. They are not cheap but Mum is worth it! So if they want to prove that they intend to offer Mum better medical care here's their chance. Don't hold your breath.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Its funny how things suddenly come to you. Without being crude...Mum is passing normal motions and is not constipated(nor the opposite)now again, if Mum was dehydrated that would all be wrong.

Equally Mum is urinating ok so it all seems a bit strange.

I don't know why but around the time of the dispute/spat with Social at various times the Social Worker, the District Nurse and another person went on about respite care.

In a way this sound similar, I wonder what the real reason is...I have become cynical.

Today she had chance to back me because she knows what I was saying was true but she kept her mouth shut.

12 January 2012 at 17:37  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I am not stupid, when the Dr mentioned Mum might be dehydrated(how come her bloods are ok?)Urine etc...but also kidney function and so on.

Also, my medical knowledge as a lay person not a health professional as he kept saying that he was...

You also get liquid not just from drinks but out of food that you eat whether thats fruit and vegetables or by eating cereal, porridge or rice puddings etc...it all adds up.

13 January 2012 at 07:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home